1. Lobstein, T, Jackson-Leach, R, Moodie, ML et al. (2015) Child and adolescent obesity: part of a bigger picture. Lancet 385, 2510–2520.
2. Johannsen, DL, Johannsen, NM & Specker, BL (2006) Influence of parents’ eating behaviors and child feeding practices on children’s weight status. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 431–439.
3. Davidson, K & Vidgen, H (2017) Why do parents enrol in a childhood obesity management program?: a qualitative study with parents of overweight and obese children. BMC Public Health 17, 159.
4. Regber, S, Novak, M, Eiben, G et al. (2013) Parental perceptions of and concerns about child’s body weight in eight European countries – the IDEFICS study. Pediatr Obes 8, 118–129.
5. Chen, HY, Lemon, SC, Pagoto, SL et al. (2014) Personal and parental weight misperception and self-reported attempted weight loss in US children and adolescents, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2007–2008 and 2009–2010. Prev Chronic Dis 11, E132.
6. Rietmeijer-Mentink, M, Paulis, WD, van Middelkoop, M et al. (2013) Difference between parental perception and actual weight status of children: a systematic review. Matern Child Nutr 9, 3–22.
7. Lundahl, A, Kidwell, KM & Nelson, TD (2014) Parental underestimates of child weight: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 133, e689–e703.
8. Hudson, E, McGloin, A & McConnon, A (2012) Parental weight (mis)perceptions: factors influencing parents’ ability to correctly categorise their child’s weight status. Matern Child Health J 16, 1801–1809.
9. Manios, Y, Moschonis, G, Karatzi, K et al. (2015) Large proportions of overweight and obese children, as well as their parents, underestimate children’s weight status across Europe. The ENERGY (EuropeaN Energy balance Research to prevent excessive weight Gain among Youth) project. Public Health Nutr 18, 2183–2190.
10. Aljunaibi, A, Abdulle, A & Nagelkerke, N (2013) Parental weight perceptions: a cause for concern in the prevention and management of childhood obesity in the United Arab Emirates. PLoS One 8, e59923.
11. de Hoog, ML, Stronks, K, van Eijsden, M et al. (2012) Ethnic differences in maternal underestimation of offspring’s weight: the ABCD study. Int J Obes (Lond) 36, 53–60.
12. Remmers, T, van Grieken, A, Renders, CM et al. (2014) Correlates of parental misperception of their child’s weight status: the ‘Be Active, Eat Right’ study. PLoS One 9, e88931.
13. Al-Qaoud, NM, Al-Shami, E & Prakash, P (2010) Kuwaiti mothers’ perception of their preschool children’s weight status. J Dev Behav Pediatr 31, 505–510.
14. Almoosawi, S, Jones, AR, Parkinson, KN et al. (2016) Parental perception of weight status: influence on children’s diet in the Gateshead millennium study. PLoS One 11, e0144931.
15. Magarey, AM, Perry, RA, Baur, LA et al. (2011) A parent-led family-focused treatment program for overweight children aged 5 to 9 years: the PEACH RCT. Pediatrics 127, 214–222.
16. Chen, S, Binns, CW, Maycock, B et al. (2014) Chinese mothers’ perceptions of their child’s weight and obesity status. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 23, 452–458.
17. Yao, NL & Hillemeier, MM (2012) Weight status in Chinese children: maternal perceptions and child self-assessments. World J Pediatr 8, 129–135.
18. Wen, X & Hui, SS (2011) Chinese parents’ perceptions of their children’s weights and their relationship to parenting behaviours. Child Care Health Dev 37, 343–351.
19. Institute of Child and Adolescent Health of Peking University (2012) The Health Information Platform of Primary and Secondary School Students of Plan 1147. http://www.health1147.bjmu.edu.cn/ (accessed January 2017).
20. Chen, Y, Ma, L, Ma, Y et al. (2015) A national school-based health lifestyles interventions among Chinese children and adolescents against obesity: rationale, design and methodology of a randomized controlled trial in China. BMC Public Health 15, 210.
21. Chen, C & Lu, FC, Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Health, People’s Republic of China (2004) The guidelines for prevention and control of overweight and obesity in Chinese adults. Biomed Environ Sci 17, Suppl., 1–36.
23. Group of China Obesity Task Force (2004) Body mass index reference norm for screening overweight and obesity in Chinese children and adolescents. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 25, 97–102.
25. de Onis, M, Onyango, AW, Borghi, E et al. (2007) Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents. Bull World Health Organ 85, 660–667.
26. Huang, JS, Donohue, M, Becerra, K et al. (2009) Relationship between parents’ and children’s weight perceptions results of a survey. Infant Child Adolesc Nutr 1, 15–20.
27. Tschamler, JM, Conn, KM, Cook, SR et al. (2010) Underestimation of children’s weight status: views of parents in an urban community. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 49, 470–476.
28. Jain, A, Sherman, SN, Chamberlin, LA et al. (2001) Why don’t low-income mothers worry about their preschoolers being overweight? Pediatrics 107, 1138–1146.
29. Eli, K, Howell, K, Fisher, PA et al. (2014) ‘A little on the heavy side’: a qualitative analysis of parents’ and grandparents’ perceptions of preschoolers’ body weights. BMJ Open 4, e006609.
30. Singh, AS, Mulder, C, Twisk, JWR et al. (2008) Tracking of childhood overweight into adulthood: a systematic review of the literature. Obes Rev 9, 474–488.
31. Li, J, Lei, J, Wen, S et al. (2014) Sex disparity and perception of obesity/overweight by parents and grandparents. Paediatr Child Health 19, e113–e116.
32. Karlsson, AK, Kullberg, J, Stokland, E et al. (2013) Measurements of total and regional body composition in preschool children: a comparison of MRI, DXA, and anthropometric data. Obesity (Silver Spring) 21, 1018–1024.
33. Malik, VS, Popkin, BM, Bray, GA et al. (2010) Sugar-sweetened beverages, obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and cardiovascular disease risk. Circulation 121, 1356–1364.
34. Jaballas, E, Clark-Ott, D, Clasen, C et al. (2011) Parents’ perceptions of their children’s weight, eating habits, and physical activities at home and at school. J Pediatr Health Care 25, 294–301.
35. Gerards, SM, Gubbels, JS, Dagnelie, PC et al. (2014) Parental perception of child’s weight status and subsequent BMIz change: the KOALA birth cohort study. BMC Public Health 14, 291.
36. Robinson, E & Sutin, AR (2016) Parental perception of weight status and weight gain across childhood. Pediatrics 137, e20153957.
37. World Health Organization (2013) Marketing of Foods High in Fat, Salt and Sugar to Children: Update 2012–2013. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe.