This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. KM Flegal , MD Carroll , BK Kit et al. (2012) Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among US adults, 1999–2010. JAMA 307, 491–497.
2. YC Wang , K McPherson , T Marsh et al. (2011) Health and economic burden of the projected obesity trends in the USA and the UK. Lancet 378, 815–825.
3. S Sidney , WD Rosamond , VJ Howard et al. (2013) The ‘Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics–2013 Update’ and the need for a national cardiovascular surveillance system. Circulation 127, 21–23.
4. KM Flegal , BK Kit , H Orpana et al. (2013) Association of all-cause mortality with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 309, 71–82.
5. PM Guenther , KW Dodd , J Reedy et al. (2006) Most Americans eat much less than recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 1371–1379.
6. JL Bachman , J Reedy , AF Subar et al. (2008) Sources of food group intakes among the US population, 2001–2002. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 804–814.
7. SM Krebs-Smith , PM Guenther , AF Subar et al. (2010) Americans do not meet federal dietary recommendations. J Nutr 140, 1832–1838.
11. SI Kirkpatrick , KW Dodd , J Reedy et al. (2012) Income and race/ethnicity are associated with adherence to food-based dietary guidance among US adults and children. J Acad Nutr Diet 112, 624–635.e6.
12. JD Wright & CY Wang (2011) Awareness of federal dietary guidance in persons aged 16 years and older: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005–2006. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 295–300.
13. GS Lovasi , MA Hutson , M Guerra et al. (2009) Built environments and obesity in disadvantaged populations. Epidemiol Rev 31, 7–20.
14. AV Diez Roux & C Mair (2010) Neighborhoods and health. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1186, 125–145.
15. CD Rehm , P Monsivais & A Drewnowski (2011) The quality and monetary value of diets consumed by adults in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 94, 1333–1339.
16. AR Shaikh , AL Yaroch , L Nebeling et al. (2008) Psychosocial predictors of fruit and vegetable consumption in adults a review of the literature. Am J Prev Med 34, 535–543.
17. J Brug , P Van Assema , G Kok et al. (1994) Self rated dietary fat intake: association with objective assessement of fat psychosocial factors, and intention to change. J Nutr Educ 26, 218–223.
18. JN Variyam , Y Shim & J Blaylock (2001) Consumer misperceptions of diet quality. J Nutr Educ 33, 314–321.
19. L Lechner , J Brug & H De Vries (1997) Misconceptions of fruit and vegetable consumption: differences between objective and subjective estimation of intake. J Nutr Educ 29, 313–320.
20. LJ Appel , TJ Moore , E Obarzanek et al. (1997) A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. DASH Collaborative Research Group. N Engl J Med 336, 1117–1124.
21. NM Karanja , E Obarzanek , PH Lin et al. (1999) Descriptive characteristics of the dietary patterns used in the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension Trial. DASH Collaborative Research Group. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 8 Suppl., S19–S27.
22. FM Sacks , LP Svetkey , WM Vollmer et al. (2001) Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. DASH-Sodium Collaborative Research Group. N Engl J Med 344, 3–10.
23. LJ Appel , MW Brands , SR Daniels et al. (2006) Dietary approaches to prevent and treat hypertension: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Hypertension 47, 296–308.
24. LP Svetkey , VJ Stevens , PJ Brantley et al. (2008) Comparison of strategies for sustaining weight loss: the weight loss maintenance randomized controlled trial. JAMA 299, 1139–1148.
25. AL Gunther , AD Liese , RA Bell et al. (2009) Association between the dietary approaches to hypertension diet and hypertension in youth with diabetes mellitus. Hypertension 53, 6–12.
27. TT Fung , SE Chiuve , ML McCullough et al. (2008) Adherence to a DASH-style diet and risk of coronary heart disease and stroke in women. Arch Intern Med 168, 713–720.
28. PB Mellen , SK Gao , MZ Vitolins et al. (2008) Deteriorating dietary habits among adults with hypertension: DASH dietary accordance, NHANES 1988–1994 and 1999–2004. Arch Intern Med 168, 308–314.
33. G Johansson , A Wikman , AM Ahren et al. (2001) Underreporting of energy intake in repeated 24-hour recalls related to gender, age, weight status, day of interview, educational level, reported food intake, smoking habits and area of living. Public Health Nutr 4, 919–927.
36. AM Brownawell & MC Falk (2010) Cholesterol: where science and public health policy intersect. Nutr Rev 68, 355–364.
37. LJ Appel , SY Angell , LK Cobb et al. (2012) Population-wide sodium reduction: the bumpy road from evidence to policy. Ann Epidemiol 22, 417–425.
38. DM Lloyd-Jones , Y Hong , D Labarthe et al. (2010) Defining and setting national goals for cardiovascular health promotion and disease reduction: the American Heart Association's strategic Impact Goal through 2020 and beyond. Circulation 121, 586–613.
42. W Willett (1998) Nutritional Epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press.
43. MA Espeland , S Kumanyika , AC Wilson et al. (2001) Statistical issues in analyzing 24-hour dietary recall and 24-hour urine collection data for sodium and potassium intakes. Am J Epidemiol 153, 996–1006.