This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. M Ezzati , AD Lopez , A Rodgers , S Vander Hoorn & CJ Murray ; Comparative Risk Assessment Collaborating Group (2002) Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of disease. Lancet 360, 1347–1360.
3. PS Belperio & DC Rhew (2004) Prevalence and outcomes of anemia in individuals with human immunodeficiency virus: a systematic review of the literature. Am J Med 116, Suppl. 7A, 27S–43S.
9. RK Chandra (1973) Reduced bactericidal activity of polymorphs in iron deficiency. Arch Dis Child 48, 864–867.
11. A Mocroft , O Kirk , S Barton , M Dietrich , R Proenca , R Colebunders , C Pradier , A dArminio Monforte , B Ledergerber & JD Lundgren (1999) Anaemia is an independent predictive marker for clinical prognosis in HIV-infected patients from across Europe. EuroSIDA Study Group. AIDS 13, 943–950.
12. ME O’Brien , R Kupka , GI Msamanga , E Saathoff , DJ Hunter & WW Fawzi (2005) Anemia is an independent predictor of mortality and immunologic progression of disease among women with HIV in Tanzania. J Acquir Immun Defic Syndr 40, 219–225.
13. WW Fawzi , GI Msamanga , D Spiegelman (1998) Randomised trial of effects of vitamin supplements on pregnancy outcomes and T cell counts in HIV-1-infected women in Tanzania. Lancet 351, 1477–1482.
17. S Blanche , C Rouzioux , ML Moscato (1989) A prospective study of infants born to women seropositive for human immunodeficiency virus type 1. HIV Infection in Newborns French Collaborative Study Group. N Engl J Med 320, 1643–1648.
18. S Blanche , MJ Mayaux , C Rouzioux (1994) Relation of the course of HIV infection in children to the severity of the disease in their mothers at delivery. N Engl J Med 330, 308–312.
20. EJ Abrams , J Wiener , R Carter , L Kuhn , P Palumbo , S Nesheim , F Lee , P Vink & M Bulterys ; Perinatal AIDS Collaborative Transmission Study (PACTS) Group (2003) Maternal health factors and early pediatric antiretroviral therapy influence the rate of perinatal HIV-1 disease progression in children. AIDS 17, 867–877.
21. S Chearskul , T Chotpitayasunondh , RJ Simonds .; Bangkok Collaborative Perinatal HIV Transmission Study Group (2002) Survival, disease manifestation and early predictors of disease progression among children with perinatal human immunodeficiency virus infection in Thailand. Pediatrics 110, 25–30.
22. A Chatterjee , RJ Bosch , DJ Hunter , MR Fataki , GI Msamanga & WW Fawzi (2007) Maternal disease stage and child undernutrition in relation to mortality among children born to HIV-infected women in Tanzania. J Acquir Immun Defic Syndr 46, 599–606.
23. EM Widdowson & CM Spray (1951) Chemical development in utero. Arch Dis Child 26, 205–214.
24. PN Singla , VK Gupta & KN Agarwal (1985) Storage iron in human fetal organs. Acta Pediatr Scand 74, 701–706.
25. Y Burnstein , WK Rashbaum , WC Hatch , T Calvelli , M Golodner , R Soeiro & WD Lyman (1992) Alterations in human fetal erythropoiesis are associated with maternal HIV infection. Pediatr Res 32, 155–159.
29. N Shaffer , K Hedberg , F Davachi , B Lyamba , JG Breman , OS Masisa , F Behets , A Hightower & P Nguyen-Dinh (1990) Trends and risk factors for HIV-1 seropositivity among outpatient children, Kinshasa, Zaire. AIDS 4, 1231–1236.
31. BS Eley , AA Sive , M Shuttleworth & GD Hussey (2002) A prospective, cross-sectional study of anemia and peripheral iron status in antiretroviral naïve, HIV-infected children in Cape Town, South Africa. BMC Infect Dis 2, 3.
33. RD Semba & GE Gray (2001) The pathogenesis of anemia during human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Invest Med 49, 225–239.
34. TD Clark , F Mmiro , C Ndugwa , RT Perry , JB Jackson , G Melikian & RD Semba (2002) Risk factors and cumulative incidence of anaemia among human immunodeficiency virus-infected children in Uganda. Ann Trop Pediatr 22, 11–17.
35. M Ellaurie , ER Burns & M Rubinstein (1990) Hematologic manifestations in pediatric HIV infection: severe anemia as a prognostic factor. Am J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 12, 449–453.
36.Cross Continents Collaborative for Kids (3Cs4kids) Analysis and Writing Committee (2008) Markers for predicting mortality in untreated HIV-infected children in resource-limited settings: a meta-analysis. AIDS 22, 97–105.
37. S Sazawal , RE Black , M Ramsan (2006) Effects of routine prophylactic supplementation with iron and folic acid on admission to hospital and mortality in preschool children in a high malaria transmission setting: community-based, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 367, 133–143.
38. JM Tielsch , SK Khatry , RJ Stotlzfus , J Katz , SC LeClerq , R Adhikari , LC Mullany , S Shresta & RE Black (2006) Effect of routine prophylactic supplementation with iron and folic acid on preschool child mortality in southern Nepal: community-based cluster-randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 367, 144–152.
39. PH Pinkerton , I Spence , JC Ogilvie , WA Ronald , P Marchant & PK Ray (1970) An assessment of the Coulter counter model S. J Clin Pathol 23, 68–76.
40. SN Massawe , EN Urassa , M Mmari , G Ronquist , G Lindmark & L Nystrom (1999) The complexity of pregnancy anemia in Dar-es-Salaam. Gynecol Obstet Invest 47, 76–82.