1. Popkin BM & Gordon-Larsen P (2004) The nutrition transition: worldwide obesity dynamics and their determinants. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, Suppl. 3, S2–S9.
3. Bibbins-Domingo K, Coxson P, Pletcher MJ et al. (2007) Adolescent overweight and future adult coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 357, 2371–2379.
4. Dietz WH (1998) Childhood weight affects adult morbidity and mortality. J Nutr 128, Suppl 2, S411–S414.
6. Jinabhai CC, Reddy P, Taylor M et al. (2007) Sex differences in under and over nutrition among school-going Black teenagers in South Africa: an uneven nutrition trajectory. Trop Med Int Health 12, 944–952.
7. Labadarios D, Swart R, Maunder EMW et al. (2008) National Food Consumption Survey–Fortification Baseline (NFCS-FB-I): South Africa, 2005. S Afr J Clin Nutr 21, Suppl. 2, 245–300.
8. Kimani-Murage E, Kahn K, Pettifor J et al. (2010) The prevalence of stunting, overweight and obesity, and metabolic disease risk in rural South African children. BMC Public Health 10, 158.
9. Griffiths PL, Rousham EK, Norris SA et al. (2008) Socio-economic status and body composition outcomes in urban South African children. Arch Dis Child 93, 862–867.
10. Davison KK & Birch LL (2001) Childhood overweight: a contextual model and recommendations for future research. Obes Rev 2, 159–171.
11. Kruger R, Kruger HS & Macintyre UE (2006) The determinants of overweight and obesity among 10- to 15-year-old schoolchildren in the North West Province, South Africa – the THUSA BANA (Transition and Health during Urbanisation of South Africans; BANA, children) study. Public Health Nutr 9, 351–358.
12. Hargreaves JR, Collinson MA, Kahn K et al. (2004) Childhood mortality among former Mozambican refugees and their hosts in rural South Africa. Int J Epidemiol 33, 1271–1278.
13. Dolan CG, Tollman SM, Nkuna VG et al. (1997) The links between legal status and environmental health: a case study of Mozambican refugees and their hosts in the Mpumalanga (Eastern Transvaal) Lowveld, South Africa. Health Hum Rights 2, 62–84.
15. Collinson MA, Tollman SM & Kahn K (2007) Migration, settlement change and health in post-apartheid South Africa: triangulating health and demographic surveillance with national census data. Scand J Public Health 35, Suppl. 69, S77–S84.
16. Collinson MA, Tollman SM, Wolff B et al. (2006) Trends in internal labour migration from rural Limpopo Province, male risk behaviour, and implications for the spread of HIV/AIDS in rural South Africa. J Ethn Migr Stud 32, 633–648.
17. Kahn K, Tollman SM, Collinson MA et al. (2007) Research into health, population and social transitions in rural South Africa: data and methods of the Agincourt Health and Demographic Surveillance System. Scand J Public Health 35, Suppl. 69, S8–S20.
18. Lohman TG, Roche AF & Martorell R (1991) Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Books.
19. Tanner JM (1962) Growth at Adolescence. Oxford: Blackwell.
20. Norris SA & Richter LM (2005) Usefulness and reliability of Tanner pubertal self-rating to urban black adolescents in South Africa. J Res Adolesc 15, 609–624.
21. Filmer D & Pritchett LH (2001) Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data – or tears: an application to educational enrollments in states of India. Demography 38, 115–132.
22. World Health Organization (2009) WHO AnthroPlus for Personal Computers Manual: Software for Assessing Growth of the World's Children and Adolescents. Geneva: WHO.
23. Cole TJ, Bellizzi MC, Flegal KM et al. (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
24. Ashwell M (2009) Obesity risk: importance of the waist-to-height ratio. Nurs Stand 23, 49–54.
25. World Health Organization (1995) Physical Status: The Use and Interpretation of Anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. WHO Technical Report Series no. 854. Geneva: WHO.
26. Kelishadi R (2007) Childhood overweight, obesity, and the metabolic syndrome in developing countries. Epidemiol Rev 29, 62–76.
27. Reilly JJ, Methven E, McDowell ZC et al. (2003) Health consequences of obesity. Arch Dis Child 88, 748–752.
28. Reddy S, Resnicow K, James S et al. (2009) Underweight, overweight and obesity among South African adolescents: results of the 2002 National Youth Risk Behaviour Survey. Public Health Nutr 12, 203–207.
29. Neutzling MB, Taddei JA, Rodrigues EM et al. (2000) Overweight and obesity in Brazilian adolescents. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 869–874.
30. de Onis M & Blossner M (2000) Prevalence and trends of overweight among preschool children in developing countries. Am J Clin Nutr 72, 1032–1039.
31. Hardy LL, Bass SL & Booth ML (2007) Changes in sedentary behavior among adolescent girls: a 2.5-year prospective cohort study. J Adolesc Health 40, 158–165.
32. Lindquist CH, Reynolds KD & Goran MI (1999) Sociocultural determinants of physical activity among children. Prev Med 29, 305–312.
33. Wisniewski AB & Chernausek SD (2009) Gender in childhood obesity: family environment, hormones, and genes. Gend Med 6, Suppl. 1, S76–S85.
35. Neumark-Sztainer D, Paxton SJ, Hannan PJ et al. (2006) Does body satisfaction matter? Five-year longitudinal associations between body satisfaction and health behaviors in adolescent females and males. J Adolesc Health 39, 244–251.
36. le Grange D, Telch CF & Tibbs J (1998) Eating attitudes and behaviors in 1,435 South African Caucasian and non-Caucasian college students. Am J Psychiatry 155, 250–254.
37. Collinson MA (2009) Striving against adversity: the dynamics of migration, health and poverty in rural South Africa. PhD Thesis, Umeå University.
38. Kursmark M & Weitzman M (2009) Recent findings concerning childhood food insecurity. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 12, 310–316.
39. Amuna P & Zotor FB (2008) Epidemiological and nutrition transition in developing countries: impact on human health and development. Proc Nutr Soc 67, 82–90.
40. Drewnowski A (2003) Fat and sugar: an economic analysis. J Nutr 133, Suppl. 3, S838–S840.
41. Wang Y (2001) Cross-national comparison of childhood obesity: the epidemic and the relationship between obesity and socioeconomic status. Int J Epidemiol 30, 1129–1136.
42. Sobal J (1991) Obesity and socioeconomic status: a framework for examining relationships between physical and social variables. Med Anthropol 13, 231–247.
43. Wang Y & Zhang Q (2006) Are American children and adolescents of low socioeconomic status at increased risk of obesity? Changes in the association between overweight and family income between 1971 and 2002. Am J Clin Nutr 84, 707–716.
44. Matijasevich A, Victora CG, Golding J et al. (2009) Socioeconomic position and overweight among adolescents: data from birth cohort studies in Brazil and the UK. BMC Public Health 9, 105.
45. Vorster HH, Venter CS, Wissing MP et al. (2005) The nutrition and health transition in the North West Province of South Africa: a review of the THUSA (Transition and Health during Urbanisation of South Africans) study. Public Health Nutr 8, 480–490.