This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. N Pearce , N Ait-Khaled , R Beasley , J Mallol , U Keil , E Mitchell & C Robertson (2007) Worldwide trends in the prevalence of asthma symptoms: phase III of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC). Thorax 62, 758–766.
4. A Trichopoulou , T Costacou , C Bamia & D Trichopoulos (2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med 348, 2599–2608.
5. A Seaton , DJ Godden & K Brown (1994) Increase in asthma: a more toxic environment or a more susceptible population? Thorax 49, 171–174.
6. TM McKeever & J Britton (2004) Diet and asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170, 725–729.
7. G Devereux & A Seaton (2005) Diet as a risk factor for atopy and asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 115, 1109–1117; quiz 18.
8. I Romieu & C Trenga (2001) Diet and obstructive lung diseases. Epidemiol Rev 23, 268–287.
9. S Martindale , G McNeill , G Devereux , D Campbell , G Russell & A Seaton (2005) Antioxidant intake in pregnancy in relation to wheeze and eczema in the first two years of life. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171, 121–128.
11. PN Black & S Sharpe (1997) Dietary fat and asthma: is there a connection? Eur Respir J 10, 6–12.
12. S Langley-Evans (1997) Fetal programming of immune function and respiratory disease. Clin Exp Allergy 27, 1377–1379.
13. S Tricon , S Willers , HA Smit (2006) Nutrition and allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy Rev 6, 117–188.
14. D Caudri , A Wijga , U Gehring , HA Smit , B Brunekreef , M Kerkhof , M Hoekstra , J Gerritsen & JC de Jongste (2007) Respiratory symptoms in the first 7 years of life and birth weight at term: the PIAMA birth cohort. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175, 1078–1085.
15. A Gregory , I Doull , N Pearce , S Cheng , P Leadbitter , S Holgate & R Beasley (1999) The relationship between anthropometric measurements at birth: asthma and atopy in childhood. Clin Exp Allergy 29, 330–333.
16. G Devereux (2007) Early life events in asthma – diet. Pediatr Pulmonol 42, 663–673.
17. SO Shaheen , RB Newson , AJ Henderson , PM Emmett , A Sherriff & M Cooke (2004) Umbilical cord trace elements and minerals and risk of early childhood wheezing and eczema. Eur Respir J 24, 292–297.
19. G Devereux , SW Turner , LC Craig , G McNeill , S Martindale , PJ Harbour , PJ Helms & A Seaton (2006) Low maternal vitamin E intake during pregnancy is associated with asthma in 5-year-old children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174, 499–507.
22. SM Willers , G Devereux , LC Craig , G McNeill , AH Wijga , W Abou El-Magd , SW Turner , PJ Helms & A Seaton (2007) Maternal food consumption during pregnancy and asthma, respiratory and atopic symptoms in 5-year-old children. Thorax 62, 773–779.
23. I Romieu , M Torrent , R García-Esteban , C Ferrer , N Ribas-Fito , JM Anto & J Sunyer (2007) Maternal fish intake during pregnancy and atopy and asthma in infancy. Clin Exp Allergy 37, 518–525.
24. L Chatzi , M Torrent , I Romieu , R García-Esteban , C Ferrer , J Vioque , M Kogevinas & J Sunyer (2008) Mediterranean diet in pregnancy is protective for wheeze and atopy in childhood. Thorax 63, 507–513.
25. J de Batlle , J Garcia-Aymerich , A Barraza-Villarreal , JM Anto & I Romieu (2008) Mediterranean diet is associated with reduced asthma and rhinitis in Mexican children. Allergy 63, 1310–1316.
26. JA Castro-Rodriguez , L García-Marcos , JD Alfonseda Rojas , J Valverde-Molina & M Sanchez-Solis (2008) Mediterranean diet as a protective factor for wheezing in preschool children. J Pediatr 152, 823–828, 8 e1–2.
27. L García-Marcos , IM Canflanca , JB Garrido (2007) Relationship of asthma and rhinoconjunctivitis with obesity, exercise and Mediterranean diet in Spanish schoolchildren. Thorax 62, 503–508.
28. L Chatzi , G Apostolaki , I Bibakis , I Skypala , V Bibaki-Liakou , N Tzanakis , M Kogevinas & P Cullinan (2007) Protective effect of fruits, vegetables and the Mediterranean diet on asthma and allergies among children in Crete. Thorax 62, 677–683.
30. L Chatzi , M Torrent , I Romieu , R Garcia-Esteban , C Ferrer , J Vioque , M Kogevinas & J Sunyer (2007) Diet, wheeze, and atopy in school children in Menorca, Spain. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 18, 480–485.
31. L Serra-Majem , L Ribas , A Garcia , C Perez-Rodrigo & J Aranceta (2003) Nutrient adequacy and Mediterranean diet in Spanish school children and adolescents. Eur J Clin Nutr 57, Suppl. 1, S35–S39.
33. SO Shaheen (2008) Prenatal nutrition and asthma: hope or hype? Thorax 63, 483–485.
34. C Murr , K Schroecksnadel , C Winkler , M Ledochowski & D Fuchs (2005) Antioxidants may increase the probability of developing allergic diseases and asthma. Med Hypotheses 64, 973–977.
35. J Sunyer , M Torrent , L Munoz-Ortiz , N Ribas-Fito , D Carrizo , J Grimalt , JM Anto & P Cullinan (2005) Prenatal dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene (DDE) and asthma in children. Environ Health Perspect 113, 1787–1790.
36. S Schenker , Y Yang , A Perez , RV Acuff , AM Papas , G Henderson & MP Lee (1998) Antioxidant transport by the human placenta. Clin Nutr 17, 159–167.