2. MS Fewtrell (2004) The long-term benefits of having been breast-fed. Curr Paediatr 14, 97–103.
4. JL Baker , M Gamborg , BL Heitmann , L Lissner , TI Sorensen & KM Rasmussen (2008) Breast-feeding reduces postpartum weight retention. Am J Clin Nutr 88, 1543–1551.
6. AP Betran , M de Onis & JA Lauer (2001) Ecological study of the effect of breastfeeding on infant mortality in Latin America. BMJ 323, 303–306.
7. PW Howie , JS Forsyth , SA Ogston , A Clark & CD Florey (1990) Protective effect of breastfeeding against infection. BMJ 300, 11–16.
8. AC Wilson , JS Forsyth , SA Greene , L Irvine , C Han & PW Howie (1998) Relation of infant diet to childhood health: seven year follow up of cohort of children in Dundee infant feeding study. BMJ 316, 21–25.
9. WH Oddy , PD Sly , NH de Klerk , LI Landau , GI Kendell , PG Holt & FJ Stanley (2003) Breastfeeding and respiratory morbidity in infancy: a birth cohort study. Arch Dis Child 88, 224–228.
10.American Academy of Pediatrics (2005) Breastfeeding and use of human milk policy statement. Pediatrics 115, 496–506.
11.European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (2008) Complementary feeding, a commentary by the ESPGHAN Committee on Nutrition: medical position paper. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 46, 99–110.
12. R von Kries , B Koletzko , T Sauerwald , E von Mutius , D Barnert , V Grunert & H von Voss (1999) Breastfeeding and obesity: cross-sectional study. BMJ 319, 147–150.
13. T Harder , R Bergmann , G Kallischnigg & A Plagemann (2005) Duration of breastfeeding and risk of overweight: a meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol 162, 397–403.
14. M Gillman (2002) Breastfeeding and obesity. J Pediatr 141, 749–750.
15. A Singhal & J Lanigan (2007) Breastfeeding, early growth and later obesity. Obes Rev 8, 51–54.
16. N Stettler (2007) Nature and strength of epidemiological evidence for origins of childhood and adulthood obesity in the first year of life. Int J Obes (Lond) 31, 1035–1043.
18. JL O’Neill , SN McCarthy , SJ Burke , EM Hannon , M Kiely , A Flynn , MA Flynn & MJ Gibney (2007) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Irish school children, using four different definitions. Eur J Clin Nutr 61, 743–751.
19. KM Flegal , MD Carroll , CL Ogden & CL Johnson (2002) Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2000. JAMA 288, 1723–1727.
25. V Freeman , M van’t Hof & F Haschke (2000) Patterns of milk and food intake in infants from birth to age 36 months: the Euro Growth Study. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 31, S76–S85.
26. A Cattaneo , A Yngve , B Koletzko & LR Guzman (2005) Protection, promotion and support of breast-feeding in Europe: current situation. Public Health Nutr 8, 39–46.
29. C Lanting , J Van Wouwe & S Reijneveld (2005) Infant milk feeding practices in the Netherlands and associated factors. Acta Paediatr 94, 935–942.
32. M Losch , CI Dungy , D Russell & LB Dusdieker (1995) Impact of attitudes on maternal decisions regarding infant feeding. J Pediatr 126, 507–514.
33. A Yngve & M Sjostrom (2001) Breastfeeding determinants and a suggested framework for action in Europe. Public Health Nutr 4, 729–739.
39. G Sayers , L Thornton , R Corcoran & M Burke (1995) Influences on breastfeeding initiation and duration. Ir J Med Sci 164, 281–284.
42. A Cattaneo , R Davanzo & L Ronfani (2000) Are data on the prevalence and duration of breastfeeding reliable? The case study of Italy. Acta Paediatr 89, 88–93.
45. RO Meyerink & GS Marquis (2002) Breastfeeding initiation and duration among low-income women in Alabama: the importance of personal and familial experiences in making infant-feeding choices. J Hum Lact 18, 38–45.
48. J Galtry (2003) The impact on breastfeeding of labour market policy and practice in Ireland, Sweden and the USA. Soc Sci Med 57, 167–177.
49. C Bakoula , A Veltsista , A Prezerakou , M Moustaki , A Fretzavas & P Nicolaidou (2007) Working mothers breastfeed babies more than housewives. Acta Paediatr 96, 510–515.
52. B Lande , LF Anderson , A Baerug , KU Trygg , K Lund-Larsen , MB Veierod & GE Bjorneboe (2003) Infant feeding practices and associated factors in the first six months of life: the Norwegian infant nutrition survey. Acta Paediatr 92, 152–161.
57. M Gilmore , D O’Driscoll & H Murphy (1978) A pilot survey of an attempt to promote breastfeeding. Ir J Med Sci 148, 272–275.
66. J Callen & J Pinelli (2004) Incidence and duration of breastfeeding for term infants in Canada, United States, Europe, and Australia: a literature review. Birth 31, 285–292.
67. JS Taylor , PM Risica , L Geller , U Kirtania & HJ Cabral (2006) Duration of breastfeeding among first time mothers in the United States: results of a national survey. Acta Paediatr 95, 980–984.
68. Y Kelly , R Watt & J Nazroo (2006) Racial/ethnic differences in breastfeeding initiation and continuation in the United Kingdom and comparison with findings in the United States. Pediatrics 118, 1428–1435.
71. S Kannan , B Carruth & J Skinner (1999) Infant feeding practices of Anglo American and Asian Indian American mothers. J Am Coll Nutr 18, 279–286.
72. AM Grjibovski , A Yngve , LO Bygren & M Sjostrom (2005) Socio-demographic determinants of initiation and duration of breastfeeding in northwest Russia. Acta Paediatr 94, 588–594.
73. K Hendricks , R Briefel , T Novak & P Ziegler (2006) Maternal and child characteristics associated with infant and toddler feeding practices. J Am Diet Assoc 106, Suppl. 1, S135–S148.
74. S Arora , C McJunkin , J Wehrer & P Kuhn (2000) Major factors influencing breastfeeding rates: mother’s perception of father’s attitude and milk supply. Pediatrics 106, 1–5.
75. S Noble ; the ALSPAC Study Team (2001) Maternal employment and the initiation of breastfeeding. Acta Paediatr 90, 423–428.
76. J Chye , Z Zain , W Lim & CT Lim (1997) Breastfeeding at 6 weeks and predictive factors. J Trop Pediatr 43, 287–292.
77. SM Donath & LH Amir ; the ALSPAC Study Team (2003) Relationship between prenatal infant feeding intention and initiation and duration of breastfeeding: a cohort study. Acta Pediatr 92, 352–356.
78. SL Wilhelm , MB Stepans , M Hertzog , TK Rodehorst & P Gardner (2006) Motivational interviewing to promote sustained breastfeeding. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 35, 340–348.
79. J Ingram , D Johnson & R Greenwood (2002) Breastfeeding in Bristol: teaching good positioning, and support from fathers and families. Midwifery 18, 87–101.
80. M Okon (2004) Health promotion: partners’ perceptions of breastfeeding. Br J Midwifery 12, 387–393.
81. JMC Cernadas , G Noceda , L Barrera , AM Martinez & A Garsd (2003) Maternal and perinatal factors influencing duration of exclusive breastfeeding in the first 6 months of life. J Hum Lact 19, 136–144.
82. S Kong & D Lee (2004) Factors influencing decision to breastfeed. J Adv Nurs 46, 369–379.
84. JA Scott , I Shaker & M Reid (2004) Parental attitudes toward breastfeeding: their association with feeding outcome at hospital discharge. Birth 31, 125–131.
85. RM Bland , NC Rollins , G Solarsh , J Van den Broeck & HM Coovadia ; Child Health Group (2003) Maternal recall of exclusive breastfeeding duration. Arch Dis Child 88, 778–783.