This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. DJ Barker , C Osmond , E Kajantie et al. (2009) Growth and chronic disease: findings in the Helsinki Birth Cohort. Ann Hum Biol 36, 445–458.
3. C Monk , MK Georgieff & EA Osterholm (2013) Research review: maternal prenatal distress and poor nutrition – mutually influencing risk factors affecting infant neurocognitive development. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 54, 115–130.
5. A Baccarelli , PA Cassano , A Litonjua et al. (2008) Cardiac autonomic dysfunction: effects from particulate air pollution and protection by dietary methyl nutrients and metabolic polymorphisms. Circulation 117, 1802–1809.
6. I Romieu , F Castro-Giner , N Kunzli et al. (2008) Air pollution, oxidative stress and dietary supplementation: a review. Eur Res J 31, 179–197.
7. C Gallo , P Renzi , S Loizzo et al. (2010) Potential therapeutic effects of vitamin E and C on placental oxidative stress induced by nicotine: an in vitro evidence. Open Biochem J 4, 77–82.
8. X Jiang , J Yan , AA West et al. (2012) Maternal choline intake alters the epigenetic state of fetal cortisol-regulating genes in humans. FASEB J 26, 3563–3574.
9. E Baibazarova , C van de Beek , PT Cohen-Kettenis et al. (2013) Influence of prenatal maternal stress, maternal plasma cortisol and cortisol in the amniotic fluid on birth outcomes and child temperament at 3 months. Psychoneuroendocrinology 38, 907–915.
10. RJ Wright , K Fisher , YH Chiu et al. (2013) Disrupted prenatal maternal cortisol, maternal obesity, and childhood wheeze: insights into prenatal programming. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187, 1186–1193.
12. ML Blumfield , AJ Hure , L Macdonald-Wicks et al. (2013) A systematic review and meta-analysis of micronutrient intakes during pregnancy in developed countries. Nutr Rev 71, 118–132.
13. RE Turner , B Langkamp-Henken , RC Littell et al. (2003) Comparing nutrient intake from food to the estimated average requirements shows middle- to upper-income pregnant women lack iron and possibly magnesium. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 461–466.
15. SL Rifas-Shiman , JW Rich-Edwards , WC Willett et al. (2006) Changes in dietary intake from the first to the second trimester of pregnancy. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 20, 35–42.
16. AR Swensen , LJ Harnack & JA Ross (2001) Nutritional assessment of pregnant women enrolled in the Special Supplemental Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). J Am Diet Assoc 101, 903–908.
17. JA Vaccaro & FG Huffman (2013) Race/ethnicity-, gender- and age-specific differences in micronutrient intakes of US adults with and without diabetes. Int J Food Sci Nutr 64, 175–184.
18. A Aggarwal , P Monsivais & A Drewnowski (2012) Nutrient intakes linked to better health outcomes are associated with higher diet costs in the US. PLoS One 7, e37533.
19. AK Kant & BI Graubard (2007) Secular trends in the association of socio-economic position with self-reported dietary attributes and biomarkers in the US population: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 1971–1975 to NHANES 1999–2002. Public Health Nutr 10, 158–167.
21. K Harley , B Eskenazi & G Block (2005) The association of time in the US and diet during pregnancy in low-income women of Mexican descent. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 19, 125–134.
22. R Perez-Escamilla (2011) Acculturation, nutrition, and health disparities in Latinos. Am J Clin Nutr 93, issue 5, 1163S–1167S.
26. E Volgyi , KN Carroll , ME Hare et al. (2013) Dietary patterns in pregnancy and effects on nutrient intake in the Mid-South: the Conditions Affecting Neurocognitive Development and Learning in Early Childhood (CANDLE) Study. Nutrients 5, 1511–1530.
27. AM Siega-Riz , LM Bodnar & DA Savitz (2002) What are pregnant women eating? Nutrient and food group differences by race. Am J Obstet Gynecol 186, 480–486.
37. HM Meltzer , AL Brantsaeter , TA Ydersbond et al. (2008) Methodological challenges when monitoring the diet of pregnant women in a large study: experiences from the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study (MoBa). Matern Child Nutr 4, 14–27.
38. LI Pearlin , MA Lieberman , EG Menaghan et al. (1981) The stress process. J Health Soc Behav 22, 337–356.
40. JS Phinney (1992) The Multigroup Ethnic Identity Measure: a new scale for use with diverse groups. J Adolesc Res 7, 20.
41. KH Nguyen , SV Subramanian , G Sorensen et al. (2012) Influence of experiences of racial discrimination and ethnic identity on prenatal smoking among urban black and Hispanic women. J Epidemiol Community Health 66, 315–321.
44. G Cuco , J Fernandez-Ballart , J Sala et al. (2006) Dietary patterns and associated lifestyles in preconception, pregnancy and postpartum. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 364–371.
46. P Padrao , C Silva-Matos , A Damasceno et al. (2011) Association between tobacco consumption and alcohol, vegetable and fruit intake across urban and rural areas in Mozambique. J Epidemiol Community Health 65, 445–453.
47. AK Kant , BI Graubard & SK Kumanyika (2007) Trends in black–white differentials in dietary intakes of US adults, 1971–2002. Am J Prev Med 32, 264–272.
48. J Clark , L Craig , G McNeill et al. (2012) A novel dietary intervention to optimize vitamin E intake of pregnant women to 15 mg/day. J Acad Nutr Diet 112, 297–301.
49. CE Boeke , A Baccarelli , KP Kleinman et al. (2012) Gestational intake of methyl donors and global LINE-1 DNA methylation in maternal and cord blood: prospective results from a folate-replete population. Epigenetics 7, 253–260.
50. AR Cyr & FE Domann (2011) The redox basis of epigenetic modifications: from mechanisms to functional consequences. Antioxid Redox Signal 15, 551–589.
51. CQ Yi , CG Yang & C He (2009) A non-heme iron-mediated chemical demethylation in DNA and RNA. Acc Chem Res 42, 519–529.
52. HK Zhang , X Zhang , E Clark et al. (2010) TET1 is a DNA-binding protein that modulates DNA methylation and gene transcription via hydroxylation of 5-methylcytosine. Cell Res 20, 1390–1393.
54. Z Mei , ME Cogswell , AC Looker et al. (2011) Assessment of iron status in US pregnant women from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), 1999–2006. Am J Clin Nutr 93, 1312–1320.
55. DM Schaffer , EM Velie , GM Shaw et al. (1998) Energy and nutrient intakes and health practices of Latinas and white non-Latinas in the 3 months before pregnancy. J Am Diet Assoc 98, 876–884.
58. I Marshall , R Mehta & A Petrova (2013) Vitamin D in the maternal–fetal–neonatal interface: clinical implications and requirements for supplementation. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 26, 633–638.
59. S Cheryan & B Monin (2005) ‘Where are you really from?’: Asian Americans and identity denial. J Pers Soc Psychol 89, 717–730.
60. MD Guendelman , S Cheryan & B Monin (2011) Fitting in but getting fat: identity threat and dietary choices among US immigrant groups. Psychol Sci 22, 959–967.
63. LL Kaiser , H Melgar-Quinonez , MS Townsend et al. (2003) Food insecurity and food supplies in Latino households with young children. J Nutr Educ Behav 35, 148–153.
64. RS Tingay , CJ Tan , NC Tan et al. (2003) Food insecurity and low income in an English inner city. J Public Health Med 25, 156–159.
65. SA Tanumihardjo , C Anderson , M Kaufer-Horwitz et al. (2007) Poverty, obesity, and malnutrition: an international perspective recognizing the paradox. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1966–1972.
66. C Mao , R Liu , S Li et al. (2013) High salt diets during pregnancy affected fetal and offspring renal renin–angiotensin system. J Endocrinol 218, 61–73.
67. M Erkkola , BI Nwaru , M Kaila et al. (2012) Risk of asthma and allergic outcomes in the offspring in relation to maternal food consumption during pregnancy: a Finnish birth cohort study. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 23, 186–194.
68. Z Yang & SL Huffman (2013) Nutrition in pregnancy and early childhood and associations with obesity in developing countries. Matern Child Nutr 9, Suppl. 1, 105–119.