This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. A Waxman (2003) Prevention of chronic diseases: WHO global strategy on diet, physical activity and health. Food Nutr Bull 24, 281–284.
3. H Taras (2005) Nutrition and student performance at school. J Sch Health 75, 199–213.
5. S Vecchiarelli , S Takayanagi & C Neumann (2006) Students’ perceptions of the impact of nutrition policies on dietary behaviours. J Sch Health 76, 540–542.
12. N Fidler Mis , H Kobe & M Štimec (2012) Dietary intake of macro- and micronutrients in Slovenian adolescents: comparison with reference values. Ann Nutr Metab 61, 305–313.
14. ES Condon , MK Crepinsek & MK Fox (2009) School meals: types of food offered to and consumed by children at lunch and breakfast. J Am Diet Assoc 109, 67–78.
16. HG Jacoby (2002) Is there an intrahousehold ‘flypaper effect’? Evidence from a school feeding programme. Econ J 112, 196–221.
23. M Story , KM Kaphingst , R Robinson-O’Brien et al. (2008) Creating healthy food and eating environments: policy and environmental approaches. Annu Rev Public Health 29, 253–272.
27. G Norman (2010) Likert scales levels of measurement and the ‘laws’ of statistics. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 15, 625–632.
36. ET Kennedy , J Ohls , S Carlson et al. (1995) The Healthy Eating Index: design and applications. J Am Diet Assoc 95, 1103–1108.
37. S Thiele , GBM Mensink & R Beitz (2004) Determinants of diet quality. Public Health Nutr 7, 29–37.
38. PMCM Waijers , EJM Feskens & MC Ocké (2002) A critical review of predefined diet quality scores. Br J Nutr 97, 219–231.
39. C Lazarou & PK Newby (2011) Use of dietary indexes among children in developed countries. Adv Nutr 2, 295–303.
42. WC Willett (2012) Nutritional Epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press.
44. MB Livingstone , AM Prentice , JJ Strain et al. (1999) Accuracy of weighed dietary records in studies of diet and health. BMJ 300, 708–712.
46. B Koroušić Seljak (2010) Web-based eHealth applications with reference to food composition data. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 121–127.
50. A Kafatos , Y Manios & J Moschandreas (2005) Health and nutrition education in primary schools of Crete: follow-up changes in body mass index and overweight status. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 1090–1092.
51. AR Powers , BJ Struempler , A Guarino et al. (2005) Effects of a nutrition education program on the dietary behavior and nutrition knowledge of second-grade and third-grade students. J Sch Health 75, 129–133.
52. KW Cullen , J Hartstein , KD Reynolds et al. (2007) Improving the school food environment: results from a pilot study in middle schools. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 484–489.
55. L Moore , GF Moore , K Tapper et al. (2007) Free breakfasts in schools: design and conduct of a cluster randomised controlled trial of the Primary School Free breakfast Initiative in Wales. BMC Public Health 7, 258.
56. I Shemilt , I Harvey , L Shepstone et al. (2004) A national evaluation of school breakfast clubs: evidence from a cluster randomised controlled trial and an observational analysis. Child Care Health Dev 30, 413–427.
57. EJ Ozer (2007) The effects of school gardens on students and schools: conceptualization and considerations for maximizing healthy development. Health Educ Behav 34, 846–863.
58. J de Sa & K Lock (2008) Will European agricultural policy for school fruit and vegetables improve public health? A review of school fruit and vegetable programmes. Eur J Public Health 18, 558–568.
61. SA French , M Story , JA Fulkerson et al. (2004) An environmental intervention to promote lower-fat food choices in secondary schools: outcomes of the TACOS Study. Am J Public Health 94, 1507–1512.
62. JE Blum , AM Davee , CM Beaudoin et al. (2008) Reduced availability of sugar-sweetened beverages and diet soda has a limited impact on beverage consumption patterns in Maine high school youth. J Nutr Educ Behav 40, 341–347.
63. KW Cullen , K Watson & I Zakeri (2008) Improvements in middle school student dietary intake after implementation of the Texas Public School Nutrition Policy. Am J Public Health 98, 111–117.
64. M Dick , A Lee , M Bright et al. (2012) Evaluation of implementation of a healthy food and drink supply strategy throughout the whole school environment in Queensland state schools, Australia. Eur J Clin Nutr 66, 1124–1129.
66. S Chambers , A Lobb , L Butler et al. (2007) Local, national and imported foods: a qualitative study. Appetite 49, 208–213.
67. FB Hu (2002) Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology. Curr Opin Lipidol 13, 3–9.
69. TV Kral & BJ Rolls (2004) Energy density and portion size: their independent and combined effects on energy intake. Physiol Behav 82, 131–138.
70. MM Salamoun , AS Kizirian , RI Tannous et al. (2005) Low calcium and vitamin D intake in healthy children and adolescents and their correlates. Eur J Clin Nutr 59, 177–184.
71. L Serra-Majem (2001) Vitamin and mineral intakes in European children. Is food fortification needed? Public Health Nutr 4, 101–107.
72. R Gould , J Russell & ME Barker (2006) School lunch menus and 11 to 12 year old children's food choice in three secondary schools in England – are the nutritional standards being met? Appetite 46, 86–92.
74. AD Oxman , A Bjorndal , F Bacerra-Posada et al. (2010) A framework for mandatory impact evaluation to ensure well informed public policy decisions. Lancet 375, 427–431.
76. J van Kammen , D de Savigny & N Sewankambo (2006) Using knowledge brokering to promote evidence based policy-making: the need for support structures. Bull World Health Organ 84, 608–612.