This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
2. SR Daniels (2006) The consequences of childhood overweight and obesity. Future Child 16, 47–67.
8. D Mozaffarian , T Hao , EB Rimm et al. (2011) Changes in diet and lifestyle and long-term weight gain in women and men. N Engl J Med 364, 2392–2404.
9. A Pan , VS Malik , T Hao et al. (2013) Changes in water and beverage intake and long-term weight changes: results from three prospective cohort studies. Int J Obes (Lond) 37, 1378–1385.
11. DP DiMeglio & RD Mattes (2000) Liquid versus solid carbohydrate: effects on food intake and body weight. Int J Obes (Lond) 24, 794–800.
12. MB Schulze , JE Manson , DS Ludwig et al. (2004) Sugar-sweetened beverages, weight gain, and incidence of type 2 diabetes in young and middle-aged women. JAMA 292, 927–934.
13. DDS Ludwig (2002) The glycemic index – physiological mechanisms relating to obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. JAMA 287, 2414–2423.
14. JL Sievenpiper , RJ de Souza , A Mirrahimi et al. (2012) Effect of fructose on body weight in controlled feeding trials: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 156, 291–304.
16. RJ Johnson , SE Perez-Pozo , YY Sautin et al. (2009) Hypothesis: could excessive fructose intake and uric acid cause type 2 diabetes? Endocr Rev 30, 96–116.
18. GA Bray (2010) Soft drink consumption and obesity: it is all about fructose. Curr Opin Lipidol 21, 51–57.
19. MC Ochoa , MJ Moreno-Aliaga , MA Martinez-Gonzalez et al. (2007) Predictor factors for childhood obesity in a Spanish case–control study. Nutrition 23, 379–384.
21. JM Martin-Moreno , P Boyle , L Gorgojo et al. (1993) Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaire in Spain. Int J Epidemiol 22, 512–519.
23. A Trichopoulou , T Costacou , C Bamia et al. (2003) Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and survival in a Greek population. N Engl J Med 348, 2599–2608.
24. BE Ainsworth , WL Haskell , AS Leon et al. (1993) Compendium of physical activities – classification of energy costs of human physical activities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25, 71–80.
25. CHS Ruxton , EJ Gardner & HM McNulty (2010) Is sugar consumption detrimental to health? A review of the evidence 1995–2006. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 50, 1–19.
26. MA Van Baak & A Astrup (2009) Consumption of sugars and body weight. Obes Rev 10, 9–23.
27. RD Mattes , JM Shikany , KA Kaiser et al. (2011) Nutritively sweetened beverage consumption and body weight: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized experiments. Obes Rev 12, 346–365.
28. LR Vartanian , MB Schwartz & KD Brownell (2007) Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health 97, 667–675.
30. L Te Morenga , S Mallard & J Mann (2013) Dietary sugars and body weight: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials and cohort studies. BMJ 346, e7492.
31. JC de Ruyter , MR Olthof , JC Seidell et al. (2012) A trial of sugar-free or sugar-sweetened beverages and body weight in children. N Engl J Med 367, 1397–1406.
32. CB Ebbeling , HA Feldman , VR Chomitz et al. (2012) A randomized trial of sugar-sweetened beverages and adolescent body weight. N Engl J Med 367, 1407–1416.
33. RA Forshee & ML Storey (2003) Total beverage consumption and beverage choices among children and adolescents. Int J Food Sci Nutr 54, 297–307.
34. RM Black , P Tanaka , LA Leiter et al. (1991) Soft drinks with aspartame – effect on subjective hunger, food selection, and food-intake of young-adult males. Physiol Behav 49, 803–810.
35. RM Black , LA Leiter & GH Anderson (1993) Consuming aspartame with and without taste. Differential-effects on appetite and food-intake of young-adult males. Physiol Behav 53, 459–466.
36. AJ Schuit , AJ van Loon , M Tijhuis et al. (2002) Clustering of lifestyle risk factors in a general adult population. Prev Med 35, 219–224.
38. R Estruch , E Ros , J Salas-Salvado et al. (2013) Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease with a Mediterranean diet. N Engl J Med 368, 1279–1290.
39. M Bibiloni , E Martinez , R Llull et al. (2011) Metabolic syndrome in adolescents in the Balearic Islands, a Mediterranean region. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 21, 446–454.
40. JJ Beunza , E Toledo , FB Hu et al. (2010) Adherence to the Mediterranean diet, long-term weight change, and incident overweight or obesity the Seguimiento Universidad de Navarra (SUN) cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 92, 1484–1493.
41. C Sayon-Orea , M Bes-Rastrollo , FJ Basterra-Gortari et al. (2013) Consumption of fried foods and weight gain in a Mediterranean cohort: The SUN project. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 23, 144–150.
42. MC Ochoa , MJ Moreno-Aliaga , MA Martinez-Gonzalez et al. (2006) TV watching modifies obesity risk linked to the 27Glu polymorphism of the ADRB2 gene in girls. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 83–88.
44. R Muckelbauer , L Libuda , K Clausen et al. (2009) Promotion and provision of drinking water in schools for overweight prevention: randomized, controlled cluster trial. Pediatrics 123, e661–e667.