This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CL Ogden , SZ Yanovski , MD Carroll et al. (2007) The epidemiology of obesity. Gastroenterology 132, 2087–2102.
2. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin et al. (2010) Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007–2008. JAMA 303, 242–249.
4. C Tudor-Locke , JJ Kronenfeld , SS Kim et al. (2007) A geographical comparison of prevalence of overweight school-aged children: the National Survey of Children's Health 2003. Pediatrics 120, e1043–e1050.
5. MN Lutfiyya , MS Lipsky , J Wisdom-Behounek et al. (2007) Is rural residency a risk factor for overweight and obesity for US children? Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 2348–2356.
6. MK Serdula , D Ivery , RJ Coates et al. (1993) Do obese children become obese adults? A review of the literature. Prev Med 22, 167–177.
9. AG Renehan , M Tyson , M Egger et al. (2008) Body-mass index and incidence of cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. Lancet 371, 569–578.
10. SJ Olshansky , DJ Passaro , RC Hershow et al. (2005) A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century. N Engl J Med 352, 1138–1145.
15. LM Steffen , DR Jacobs Jr, MA Murtaugh et al. (2003) Whole grain intake is associated with lower body mass and greater insulin sensitivity among adolescents. Am J Epidemiol 158, 243–250.
18. CK Good , N Holschuh , AM Albertson et al. (2008) Whole grain consumption and body mass index in adult women: an analysis of NHANES 1999–2000 and the USDA pyramid servings database. J Am Coll Nutr 27, 80–87.
19. NM McKeown , M Yoshida , MK Shea et al. (2009) Whole-grain intake and cereal fiber are associated with lower abdominal adiposity in older adults. J Nutr 139, 1950–1955.
20. LP van de Vijver , LM van den Bosch , PA van den Brandt et al. (2009) Whole-grain consumption, dietary fibre intake and body mass index in the Netherlands cohort study. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 31–38.
23. DJ Jenkins , V Wesson , TM Wolever et al. (1988) Wholemeal versus wholegrain breads: proportion of whole or cracked grain and the glycaemic response. BMJ 297, 958–960.
28. PK Newby (2009) Plant foods and plant-based diets: protective against childhood obesity? Am J Clin Nutr 89, issue 5, 1572S–1587S.
29. CD Economos , RR Hyatt , JP Goldberg et al. (2007) A community intervention reduces BMI z-score in children: Shape Up Somerville first year results. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 1325–1336.
33. SE Barlow (2007) Expert committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment, and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics 120, Suppl. 4, S164–S192.
35. KW Cullen , K Watson & I Zakeri (2008) Relative reliability and validity of the Block Kids Questionnaire among youth aged 10 to 17 years. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 862–866.
36. M Murashima , SL Hoerr , SO Hughes et al. (2011) Confirmatory factor analysis of a questionnaire measuring control in parental feeding practices in mothers of Head Start children. Appetite 56, 594–601.
37. JN Davis , EE Ventura , LT Cook et al. (2011) LA Sprouts: a gardening, nutrition, and cooking intervention for Latino youth improves diet and reduces obesity. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 1224–1230.
41. L Harnack , SA Walters & DR Jacobs Jr (2003) Dietary intake and food sources of whole grains among US children and adolescents: data from the 1994–1996 Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 1015–1019.
43. SS Jonnalagadda , L Harnack , RH Liu et al. (2011) Putting the whole grain puzzle together: health benefits associated with whole grains – summary of American Society for Nutrition 2010 Satellite Symposium. J Nutr 141, issue 5, 1011S–1022S.
44. G Cheng , N Karaolis-Danckert , L Libuda et al. (2009) Relation of dietary glycemic index, glycemic load, and fiber and whole-grain intakes during puberty to the concurrent development of percent body fat and body mass index. Am J Epidemiol 169, 667–677.
45. JN Davis , KE Alexander , EE Ventura et al. (2009) Inverse relation between dietary fiber intake and visceral adiposity in overweight Latino youth. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 1160–1166.
46. M Zanovec , CE O'Neil , SS Cho et al. (2010) Relationship between whole grain and fiber consumption and body weight measures among 6- to 18-year-olds. J Pediatr 157, 578–583.
47. NC Howarth , E Saltzman & SB Roberts (2001) Dietary fiber and weight regulation. Nutr Rev 59, 129–139.
49. JA Marlett , MI McBurney & JL Slavin (2002) Position of the American Dietetic Association: health implications of dietary fiber. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 993–1000.
51. EA Lundin , JX Zhang , D Lairon et al. (2004) Effects of meal frequency and high-fibre rye-bread diet on glucose and lipid metabolism and ileal excretion of energy and sterols in ileostomy subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1410–1419.