2. Tekin, E, McClellan, C & Minyard, KJ (2013) Health and Health Behaviors During the Worst of Times. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research; available at http://www.nber.org/papers/w19234.pdf
3. Hoynes, H, Miller, DL & Schaller, J (2012) Who suffers during recessions? J Econ Perspect 26, 27–48.
4. Pfeffer, FT, Danziger, S & Schoeni, RF (2013) Wealth disparities before and after the great recession. Ann Am Acad Pol Soc Sci 650, 98–123.
5. Bacigalupe, A & Escolar-Pujolar, A (2014) The impact of economic crises on social inequalities in health: what do we know so far? Int J Equity Health 13, 52.
7. Ruhm, CJ (2003) Good times make you sick. J Health Econ 22, 637–658.
8. Ruhm, CJ (2000) Are recessions good for your health? Q J Econ 115, 617–650.
9. Ruhm, CJ (2005) Healthy living in hard times. J Health Econ 24, 341–363.
10. Xu, X (2013) The business cycle and health behaviors. Soc Sci Med 77, 126–136.
11. Charles, KK & DeCicca, P (2008) Local labor market fluctuations and health: is there a connection and for whom? J Health Econ 27, 1532–1550.
12. Arcaya, M, Glymour, MM, Chakrabarti, P et al. (2013) Effects of proximate foreclosed properties on individuals’ weight gain in Massachusetts, 1987–2008. Am J Public Health 103, e50–e56.
13. Currie, J, Duque, V & Garfinkel, I (2015) The Great Recession and mother’s health. Econ J (Lond) 125, F311–F346.
14. Oddo, VM, Nicholas, LH, Bleich, SN et al. (2016) The impact of changing economic conditions on overweight risk among children in California from 2008 to 2012. J Epidemiol Community Health 70, 874–880.
15. Burgard, SA & Kalousova, L (2015) Effects of the Great Recession: health and well-being. Annu Rev Sociol 41, 181–201.
16. Colman, G & Dave, D (2013) Exercise, physical activity, and exertion over the business cycle. Soc Sci Med 93, 11–20.
17. Todd, JE (2017) Changes in consumption of food away from home and intakes of energy and other nutrients among US working-age adults, 2005–2014. Public Health Nutr 20, 3238–3246.
18. Dave, DM & Kelly, IR (2012) How does the business cycle affect eating habits? Soc Sci Med 74, 254–262.
19. Ruhm, CJ (2015) Recessions, healthy no more? J Health Econ 42, 17–28.
21. Thorn, B, Tadler, C, Huret, N et al. (2015) WIC Participant and Program Characteristics 2014. Prepared by Insight Policy Research under Contract No. AG‐3198‐C‐11‐0010. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service.
23. Pan, L, Freedman, DS, Sharma, AJ et al. (2016) Trends in obesity among participants aged 2–4 years in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children – United States, 2000–2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 65, 1256–1260.
24. Sekhobo, J, Edmunds, L, Whaley, S et al. (2013) Obesity prevalence among low-income, preschool-aged children – New York City and Los Angeles County, 2003–2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 62, 17–22.
25. Chaparro, MP, Wang, MC & Whaley, SE (2013)
Neighborhood Obesity Trends Among 2–5 Year Old Children Participating in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) in Los Angeles County, 2002–2011
. Los Angeles, CA: First 5 LA; available at http://www.first5la.org/files/08149_FinalReport_06302013.pdf
26. Crespi, CM, Alfonso, VH, Whaley, SE et al. (2012) Validity of child anthropometric measurements in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children. Pediatr Res 71, 286–292.
27. Tanner, JM (1990) Foetus Into Man: Physical Growth from Conception to Maturity, revised and enlarged ed. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
28. Kuczmarski, RJ, Ogden, CL, Guo, SS et al. (2002) 2000 CDC growth charts for the United States: methods and development. Vital Health Stat 11, issue 246, 1–190.
30. Singh, GK, Siahpush, M & Kogan, MD (2010) Rising social inequalities in US childhood obesity, 2003–2007. Ann Epidemiol 20, 40–52.
31. May, AL, Freedman, D, Sherry, B et al. (2013) Obesity – United States, 1999–2010. MMWR Suppl 62, 120–128.
32. Babey, SH, Hastert, TA, Wolstein, J et al. (2010) Income disparities in obesity trends among California adolescents. Am J Public Health 100, 2149–2155.
33. Frederick, CB, Snellman, K & Putnam, RD (2014) Increasing socioeconomic disparities in adolescent obesity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111, 1338–1342.
34. Rossen, LM & Schoendorf, KC (2012) Measuring health disparities: trends in racial-ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in obesity among 2- to 18-year old youth in the United States, 2001–2010. Ann Epidemiol 22, 698–704.
35. Kranjac, AW & Wagmiller, RL (2016) Association between age and obesity over time. Pediatrics 137, e20152096.
39. Kant, AK & Graubard, BI (2013) Family income and education were related with 30-year time trends in dietary and meal behaviors of American children and adolescents. J Nutr 143, 690–700.
40. Burgard, SA & Hawkins, JM (2014) Race/ethnicity, educational attainment, and foregone health care in the United States in the 2007–2009 recession. Am J Public Health 104, e134–e140.
41. Link, BG & Phelan, J (1995) Social conditions as fundamental causes of disease.
J Health Soc Behav Spec No, 80–94.
42. Cutler, DM & Lleras-Muney, A (2008) Education and health: evaluating theories and evidence. In Making Americans Healthier: Social and Economic Policy as Health Policy, pp 29–60 [J House, R Schoeni, G Kaplan et al., editors]. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
43. Garasky, S, Stewart, SD, Gundersen, C et al. (2009) Family stressors and child obesity. Soc Sci Res 38, 755–766.
44. Gundersen, C, Mahatmya, D, Garasky, S et al. (2011) Linking psychosocial stressors and childhood obesity. Obes Rev 12, e54–e63.
45. Tremblay, MS, Chaput, J-P, Adamo, KB et al. (2017) Canadian 24-hour movement guidelines for the early years (0–4 years): an integration of physical activity, sedentary behaviour, and sleep. BMC Public Health 17, 874.
48. Schultz, DJ, Byker Shanks, C & Houghtaling, B (2015) The impact of the 2009 Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children food package revisions on participants: a systematic review. J Acad Nutr Diet 115, 1832–1846.
49. Nobari, TZ, Blumenberg, E, Chaparro, PM et al. (2014) The food environment of immigrant enclaves in Los Angeles County. Presented at 2014 Annual Meeting of the Population Association of America, Boston, MA, USA, 1–3 May 2014. http://www.paa2014.princeton.edu/papers/142394 (accessed January 2018).
51. Freedman, DS, Sharma, AJ, Hamner, HC et al. (2017) Trends in weight-for-length among infants in WIC from 2000 to 2014. Pediatrics 139, e20162034.
52. Pan, L, McGuire, LC, Blanck, HM et al. (2015) Racial/ethnic differences in obesity trends among young low-income children. Am J Prev Med 48, 570–574.