This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. A Noah & AS Truswell (2001) There are many Mediterranean diets. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 10, 2–9.
2. B Karamanos , A Thanopoulou , F Angelico (2002) Nutritional habits in the Mediterranean basin. The macronutrient composition of diet and its relation with the traditional Mediterranean diet. Multi-centre study of the Mediterranean Group for the Study of Diabetes (MGSD). Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 983–991.
5. L Serra-Majem , A Trichopoulou , J Ngo de la Cruz , P Cervera , A Garcia Alvarez , C La Vecchia , A Lemtouni & D Trichopoulos (2004) Does the definition of the Mediterranean diet need to be updated? Public Health Nutr 7, 927–929.
7. A Keys (editor) (1980) Seven Countries: A Multivariate Analysis of Death and Coronary Heart Disease, 1st ed. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
8. L Serra-Majem , B Roman & R Estruch (2006) Scientific evidence of interventions using the Mediterranean diet: a systematic review. Nutr Rev 64, S27–S47.
9. F Sofi , F Cesari , R Abbate , GF Gensini & A Casini (2008) Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis. BMJ 337, a1344.
13. F Fidanza , A Alberti , M Lanti & A Menotti (2004) Mediterranean adequacy index: correlation with 25-year mortality from coronary heart disease in the Seven Countries Study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 14, 254–258.
14. SSP Rodrigues , M Caraher , A Trichopoulou & MDV de Almeida (2007) Portuguese households’ diet quality (adherence to Mediterranean food pattern and compliance with WHO population dietary goals): trends, regional disparities and socioeconomic determinants. Eur J Clin Nutr 62, 1263–1272.
16. A Alberti-Fidanza , F Fidanza , MP Chiuchiu , G Verducci & D Fruttini (1999) Dietary studies on two rural Italian population groups of the Seven Countries Study. 3. Trend of food and nutrient intake from 1960 to 1991. Eur J Clin Nutr 53, 854–860.
17. A Alberti , D Fruttini & F Fidanza (2009) The Mediterranean adequacy index: further confirming results of validity. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19, 61–66.
19. Q Chen & P Marques-Vidal (2007) Trends in food availability in Portugal in 1966–2003: comparison with other Mediterranean countries. Eur J Nutr 46, 418–427.
23. SSP Rodrigues , C Lopes , A Naska , A Trichopoulou & MDV de Almeida (2007) Comparison of national food supply, household food availability and individual food consumption data in Portugal. J Public Health 15, 447–455.
24. L Serra-Majem , D MacLean , L Ribas , D Brule , W Sekula , R Prattala , R Garcia-Closas , A Yngve , M Lalonde & A Petrasovits (2003) Comparative analysis of nutrition data from national, household, and individual levels: results from a WHO–CINDI collaborative project in Canada, Finland, Poland, and Spain. J Epidemiol Community Health 57, 74–80.
26. F Rodríguez-Artalejo , JR Banegas , A Graciani , R Herndndez-Vecino & J Rey-Calero (1996) Food supply versus household survey data: Nutrient consumption trends for Spain, 1958–1988. Eur J Epidemiol 12, 367–371.
34. M de Lorgeril , P Salen , F Paillard , F Laporte , F Boucher & J de Leiris (2002) Mediterranean diet and the French paradox: two distinct biogeographic concepts for one consolidated scientific theory on the role of nutrition in coronary heart disease. Cardiovasc Res 54, 503–515.
37. A Naska , D Fouskakis , E Oikonomou (2005) Dietary patterns and their socio-demographic determinants in 10 European countries: data from the DAFNE databank. Eur J Clin Nutr 60, 181–190.
40. L Serra-Majem (2004) Japomediterranean diet? Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1324–1325.
41. S Tokudome , Y Ichikawa , H Okuyama (2004) The Mediterranean vs the Japanese diet. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 1323.
42. S Dernini (2006) Towards the advancement of the Mediterranean food cultures. Public Health Nutrition 9, 103–104.
44. BM Popkin & P Gordon-Larsen (2004) The nutrition transition: worldwide obesity dynamics and their determinants. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28, S2–S9.
45. C Byrd-Bredbenner , P Lagiou & A Trichopoulou (2000) A comparison of household food availability in 11 countries. J Hum Nutr Diet 13, 197–204.