- Get access
- Contains open access
- ISSN: 0036-9306 (Print), 1475-3065 (Online)
- Editor: Professor Ian A. McFarland Candler School of Theology|Rita Anne Rollins Building|1531 Dickey Drive|Atlanta, Georgia 30322 USA
- Editorial board
June Article of the Month
Tradition and its ‘use’: the ethics of theological retrieval
This article argues for the importance of attending to the subjective dynamics involved in retrieval of past theological traditions for contemporary purposes. Building on a close analysis of Martin Luther's distinction between the ‘substance’ of a thing and its ‘use’, the article makes a theological case for the importance of attending not just to what we retrieve from tradition, but also to how and why we retrieve it. Analysis of Luther's distinction suggests (1) that the meaning of theological claims remains unexpectedly fluid until such claims have been located within the ethical drama of ‘use’, and (2) that one of the best ways to get theological traction on the dynamics of ‘use’ is to attend to the affective economies in which theological reasoning is always located. It concludes by drawing attention to specific areas in contemporary ethics where new light can be shed through attention to the dynamics of ‘use’.
The Violated Body of Christ and the Voices of Young Catholic Women
- 13 February 2023,
- The CDC reports that more than 1 in 2 women in the US have experienced sexual violence. As the ecclesial body of Christ, the church has both a graced capacity...
“O That My Words Were Written Down!”
- 17 January 2023,
- Attuning Job with modern poetry of disability offers an opportunity to unseat some of the easy (or ableist) connections between Job and disability and to explore...
Cambridge to publish a new flagship journal in the fast-growing field of Pakistan studies
- 25 July 2022,
- Critical Pakistan Studies will be the first international journal devoted to the study of Pakistan and its peopleJournal will be interdisciplinary and open Cambridge University Press is to publish the world’s first international journal devoted to the study of Pakistan and its people.…...