- Get access
- Contains open access
- ISSN: 0952-6757 (Print), 1469-8188 (Online)
- Editors: Colin J. Ewen University of Leiden, The Netherlands, and Ellen M. Kaisse University of Washington, USA
- Editorial board
Other theoretical linguistics journals from Cambridge
- 20 November 2020,
- This year JIPA celebrates 50 years under its present title, and 20 years of publication with CUP. But that’s only part of a 134-year story. Under earlier titles After a hundred years of conventional typesetting and printing, the journal went through an innovative era of desktop publishing in the 1980s and 90s. The partnership with CUP began with Volume 31 in 2001, and the journal acquired its striking black and orange cover. . . . → Read More: Fifty Years of JIPA...
- 23 September 2020,
- We hope that you are all keeping safe and well during these strange times. It’s a shame that current circumstances prevent us from meeting in person at conferences Andrew Winnard, Executive Publisher (sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology) Rebecca Taylor, Commissioning Editor (applied linguistics) Helen Barton, Commissioning Editor (formal and . . . → Read More: A message from Cambridge Editors...
- 28 August 2020,
- Written by Claire Kramsch, author of Language as Symbolic Power When twenty years ago I decided to teach an undergraduate course on Language and Power in my German department at UC Berkeley, I didn’t have any other purpose in mind than to share my newly acquired insights into post-structuralist approaches to language study with students who were learning a foreign language. As they were working hard to acquire French or German and to develop the ability to communicate with foreign others, I wanted to show them how much more there is to language than just grammar and vocabulary. Why, behind their choices of what to say, what not to say, and how to say it, there was a whole power game going . . . → Read More: Language as Symbolic Power...