This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. G Van Assche , A Dignass , J Panes (2010) The second European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease: Definitions and diagnosis. J Crohns Colitis 4, 7–27.
2. EF Stange , SP Travis , S Vermeire (2008) European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of ulcerative colitis: Definitions and diagnosis. J Crohns Colitis 2, 1–23.
3. RJ Xavier & DK Podolsky (2007) Unravelling the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Nature 448, 427–434.
4. F Scaldaferri & C Fiocchi (2007) Inflammatory bowel disease: Progress and current concepts of etiopathogenesis. J Dig Dis 8, 171–178.
5. CA Chapman-Kiddell , PS Davies , L Gillen . (2010) Role of diet in the development of inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 16, 137–151.
8. RB Sartor (2008) Microbial influences in inflammatory bowel diseases. Gastroenterology 134, 577–594.
9. K Karlinger , T Gyorke , E Mako . (2000) The epidemiology and the pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Eur J Radiol 35, 154–167.
11. GB Porro & E Panza (1985) Smoking, sugar, and inflammatory bowel disease. Br Med J 291, 971–972.
12. S Reif , I Klein , F Lubin . (1997) Pre-illness dietary factors in inflammatory bowel disease. Gut 40, 754–760.
13. N Sakamoto , S Kono , K Wakai (2005) Dietary risk factors for inflammatory bowel disease: A multicenter case-control study in Japan. Inflamm Bowel Dis 11, 154–163.
14. JR Thornton , PM Emmett & KW Heaton (1979) Diet and Crohn's disease: Characteristics of the pre-illness diet. Br Med J 2, 762–764.
16. MA Gassull (2001) Dietary fat intake and inflammatory bowel disease. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 3, 358–361.
17. A Belluzzi , C Brignola , M Campieri . (1996) Effect of an enteric-coated fish-oil preparation on relapses in Crohn's disease. N Engl J Med 334, 1557–1560.
18. TM Trebble , MA Stroud , SA Wootton (2005) High-dose fish oil and antioxidants in Crohn's disease and the response of bone turnover: A randomised controlled trial. Br J Nutr 94, 253–261.
20.Epidemiological Group of the Research Committee of IBD in Japan (1994) Dietary and other risk factors of ulcerative colitis. A case-control study in Japan. Epidemiology group of the research committee of inflammatory Bowel disease in Japan. J Clin Gastroenterol 19, 166–171.
21. AR Hart , R Luben , A Olsen (2008) Diet in the aetiology of ulcerative colitis: A European prospective cohort study. Digestion 77, 57–64.
23. SL Jowett , CJ Seal , MS Pearce (2004) Influence of dietary factors on the clinical course of ulcerative colitis: A prospective cohort study. Gut 53, 1479–1484.
24. P Jantchou , S Morois , F Clavel-Chapelon . (2010) Animal protein intake and risk of inflammatory bowel disease: The E3N prospective study. Am J Gastroenterol 105, 2195–2201.
25. PG Persson , A Ahlbom & G Hellers (1992) Diet and inflammatory bowel disease: A case-control study. Epidemiology 3, 47–52.
26. MC Lomer , RP Thompson & JJ Powell (2002) Fine and ultrafine particles of the diet: Influence on the mucosal immune response and association with Crohn's disease. Proc Nutr Soc 61, 123–130.
27. MC Lomer , SL Grainger , R Ede (2005) Lack of efficacy of a reduced microparticle diet in a multi-centred trial of patients with active Crohn's disease. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17, 377–384.
28. E Bannerman , I Davidson , C Conway . (2001) Altered subjective appetite parameters in Crohn's disease patients. Clin Nutr 20, 399–405.
29. MA Gassull & E Cabre (2001) Nutrition in inflammatory bowel disease. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 4, 561–569.
31. MCE Lomer (2009) National UK audits in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) highlight a deficit of dietitians in gastroenterology: A priority for improvement supported by national IBD standards. J Hum Nutr Diet 22, 287–289.
36. MC Lomer , K Kodjabashia , C Hutchinson . (2004) Intake of dietary iron is low in patients with Crohn's disease: A case-control study. Br J Nutr 91, 141–148.
37. K Vagianos , S Bector , J McConnell . (2007) Nutrition assessment of patients with inflammatory bowel disease. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 31, 311–319.
39. L Valentini , L Schaper , C Buning (2008) Malnutrition and impaired muscle strength in patients with Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis in remission. Nutrition 24, 694–702.
40. DD Mijac , GL Jankovic , J Jorga . (2010) Nutritional status in patients with active inflammatory bowel disease: Prevalence of malnutrition and methods for routine nutritional assessment. Eur J Intern Med 21, 315–319.
42. M O'Sullivan & C O'Morain (2006) Nutrition in inflammatory bowel disease. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 20, 561–573.
43. CN Bernstein , JF Blanchard , W Leslie . (2000) The incidence of fracture among patients with inflammatory bowel disease. A population-based cohort study. Ann Intern Med 133, 795–799.
44. TP van Staa , C Cooper , LS Brusse . (2003) Inflammatory bowel disease and the risk of fracture. Gastroenterology 125, 1591–1597.
45. H Tilg , AR Moschen , A Kaser . (2008) Gut, inflammation and osteoporosis: Basic and clinical concepts. Gut 57, 684–694.
47. A Dignass , GV Assche , JO Lindsay (2010) The second European evidence-based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease: Current management. J Crohns Colitis 4, 28–62.
48. J Compston (2003) Osteoporosis in inflammatory bowel disease. Gut 52, 63–64.
49. S Kulnigg & C Gasche (2006) Systematic review: Managing anaemia in Crohn's disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24, 1507–1523.
50. C Gasche , MC Lomer , I Cavill . (2004) Iron, anaemia, and inflammatory bowel diseases. Gut 53, 1190–1197.
51. C Gasche , A Berstad , R Befrits (2007) Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of iron deficiency and anemia in inflammatory bowel diseases. Inflamm Bowel Dis 13, 1545–1553.
53. M Yakut , Y Ustun , G Kabacam . (2010) Serum vitamin B12 and folate status in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases. Eur J Intern Med 21, 320–323.
54. RH Driscoll Jr & IH Rosenberg (1978) Total parenteral nutrition in inflammatory bowel disease. Med Clin North Am 62, 185–201.
55. MJ Ostro , GR Greenberg & KN Jeejeebhoy (1985) Total parenteral nutrition and complete bowel rest in the management of Crohn's disease. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 9, 280–287.
56. AM Griffiths , A Ohlsson , PM Sherman . (1995) Metaanalysis of enteral nutrition as a primary-treatment of active Crohns-disease. Gastroenterology 108, 1056–1067.
58. T Bamba , T Shimoyama , M Sasaki (2003) Dietary fat attenuates the benefits of an elemental diet in active Crohn's disease: A randomized, controlled trial. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15, 151–157.
59. MA Gassull , F Fernandez-Banares , E Cabre (2002) Fat composition may be a clue to explain the primary therapeutic effect of enteral nutrition in Crohn's disease: Results of a double blind randomised multicentre European trial. Gut 51, 164–168.
60. DA Gorard (2003) Enteral nutrition in Crohn's disease: Fat in the formula. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 15, 115–118.
61. K Leiper , J Woolner , MM Mullan (2001) A randomised controlled trial of high versus low long chain triglyceride whole protein feed in active Crohn's disease. Gut 49, 790–794.
62. MH Giaffer , G North & CD Holdsworth (1990) Controlled trial of polymeric versus elemental diet in treatment of active Crohn's disease. Lancet 335, 816–819.
63. JM Fell , M Paintin , F Arnaud-Battandier (2000) Mucosal healing and a fall in mucosal pro-inflammatory cytokine mRNA induced by a specific oral polymeric diet in paediatric Crohn's disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14, 281–289.
64. T Yamamoto , M Nakahigashi , S Umegae . (2007) Impact of long-term enteral nutrition on clinical and endoscopic recurrence after resection for Crohn's disease: A prospective, non-randomized, parallel, controlled study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 25, 67–72.
66. AM Riordan , JO Hunter , RE Cowan (1993) Treatment of active Crohn's disease by exclusion diet: East Anglian multicentre controlled trial. Lancet 342, 1131–1134.
67. JT Woolner , TJ Parker , GA Kirby . (1998) The development and evaluation of a diet for maintaining remission in Crohn's disease. J Hum Nutr Diet 11, 1–11.
69. M Ballegaard , A Bjergstrom , S Brondum . (1997) Self-reported food intolerance in chronic inflammatory bowel disease. Scand J Gastroenterol 32, 569–571.
70. R Meier & M Gassull (2004) Consensus recommendations on the effects and benefits of fibre in clinical practice. Clin Nutr Suppl 1, 73–80.
72. AH Raouf , V Hildrey , J Daniel (1991) Enteral feeding as sole treatment for Crohns-disease – controlled trial of whole protein upsilon-amino acid based feed and a case-study of dietary challenge. Gut 32, 702–707.
73. C Hedin , K Whelan & JO Lindsay (2007) Evidence for the use of probiotics and prebiotics in inflammatory bowel disease: A review of clinical trials. Proc Nutr Soc 66, 307–315.
74. T Mimura , F Rizzello , U Helwig (2004) Once daily high dose probiotic therapy (VSL#3) for maintaining remission in recurrent or refractory pouchitis. Gut 53, 108–114.
75. P Gionchetti , F Rizzello , A Venturi (2000) Oral bacteriotherapy as maintenance treatment in patients with chronic pouchitis: A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Gastroenterology 119, 305–309.
76. P Gionchetti , F Rizzello , U Helwig (2003) Prophylaxis of pouchitis onset with probiotic therapy: A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Gastroenterology 124, 1202–1209.
77. W Kruis , E Schutz , P Fric . (1997) Double-blind comparison of an oral Escherichia coli preparation and mesalazine in maintaining remission of ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 11, 853–858.
78. W Kruis , P Fric , J Pokrotnieks (2004) Maintaining remission of ulcerative colitis with the probiotic Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 is as effective as with standard mesalazine. Gut 53, 1617–1623.
79. BJ Rembacken , AM Snelling , PM Hawkey . (1999) Non-pathogenic Escherichia coli versus mesalazine for the treatment of ulcerative colitis: A randomised trial. Lancet 354, 635–639.
82. M Simren , J Axelsson , R Gillberg . (2002) Quality of life in inflammatory bowel disease in remission: The impact of IBS-like symptoms and associated psychological factors. Am J Gastroenterol 97, 389–396.
83. SJ Shepherd , FC Parker , JG Muir . (2008) Dietary triggers of abdominal symptoms in patients with irritable bowel syndrome: Randomized placebo-controlled evidence. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6, 765–771.
85. DK Ong , SB Mitchell , JS Barrett (2010) Manipulation of dietary short chain carbohydrates alters the pattern of gas production and genesis of symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25, 1366–1373.
86. RB Gearry , PM Irving , JS Barrett . (2009) Reduction of dietary poorly absorbed short-chain carbohydrates (FODMAPs) improves abdominal symptoms in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. J Crohns Colitis 3, 8–14.
88. PR Gibson & SJ Shepherd (2010) Evidence-based dietary management of functional gastrointestinal symptoms: The FODMAP approach. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25, 252–258.
89. KL Krok & GR Lichtenstein (2003) Nutrition in Crohn disease. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 19, 148–153.