5. AH Eliassen , GA Colditz , B Rosner (2006) Adult weight change and risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. JAMA 296, 193–201.
6. LR Teras , M Goodman , AV Patel (2011) Weight loss and postmenopausal breast cancer in a prospective cohort of overweight and obese US women. Cancer Causes Control 22, 573–579.
7. RL Prentice , B Caan , RT Chlebowski (2006) Low-fat dietary pattern and risk of invasive breast cancer: the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Dietary Modification Trial. JAMA 295, 629–642.
10. ML Dansinger , JA Gleason , JL Griffith (2005) Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction: a randomized trial. JAMA 293, 43–53.
11. A Vrieling , K Buck , R Kaaks (2010) Adult weight gain in relation to breast cancer risk by estrogen and progesterone receptor status: a meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat 123, 641–649.
13. SA Silvera , M Jain , GR Howe (2006) Energy balance and breast cancer risk: a prospective cohort study. Breast Cancer Res Treat 97, 97–106.
16. S Camastra , A Gastaldelli , A Mari (2011) Early and longer term effects of gastric bypass surgery on tissue-specific insulin sensitivity and beta cell function in morbidly obese patients with and without type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 54, 2093–2102.
18. L Sjostrom , K Narbro , CD Sjostrom (2007) Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects. N Engl J Med 357, 741–752.
19. HJ Thompson & A McTiernan (2011) Weight cycling and cancer: weighing the evidence of intermittent caloric restriction and cancer risk. Cancer Prev Res 4, 1736–1742.
20. SA French , AR Folsom , RW Jeffery (1997) Weight variability and incident disease in older women: the Iowa Women's Health Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 21, 217–223.
21. A Trentham-Dietz , PA Newcomb , KM Egan (2000) Weight change and risk of postmenopausal breast cancer (United States). Cancer Causes Control 11, 533–542.
22. SM Eng , MD Gammon , MB Terry (2005) Body size changes in relation to postmenopausal breast cancer among women on Long Island, New York. Am J Epidemiol 162, 229–237.
25. L Gross & Y Dreyfuss (1984) Reduction in the incidence of radiation-induced tumors in rats after restriction of food intake. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81, 7596–7598.
28. RF Chen , RA Good , RW Engelman (1990) Suppression of mouse mammary tumor proviral DNA and protooncogene expression: association with nutritional regulation of mammary tumor development. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 87, 2385–2389.
30. RP Shao , ML Dao , NK Day (1990) Dietary manipulation of mammary tumor development in adult C3H/Bi mice. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 193, 313–317.
31. RW Engelman , NK Day , RF Chen (1990) Calorie consumption level influences development of C3H/Ou breast adenocarcinoma with indifference to calorie source. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 193, 23–30.
32. I Siegel , TL Liu , N Nepomuceno (1988) Effects of short-term dietary restriction on survival of mammary ascites tumor-bearing rats. Cancer Invest 6, 677–680.
33. KA Pape-Ansorge , JP Grande , TA Christensen (2002) Effect of moderate caloric restriction and/or weight cycling on mammary tumor incidence and latency in MMTV-Neu female mice. Nutr Cancer 44, 162–168.
34. MP Cleary & ME Grossmann (2011) The manner in which calories are restricted impacts mammary tumor cancer prevention. J Carcinog 10, 21.
37. OP Rogozina , MJ Bonorden , JP Grande (2009) Serum insulin-like growth factor-I and mammary tumor development in ad libitum-fed, chronic calorie-restricted, and intermittent calorie-restricted MMTV-TGF-alpha mice. Cancer Prev Res 2, 712–719.
39. RS Mehta , SR Harris , CA Gunnett (1993) The effects of patterned calorie-restricted diets on mammary tumor incidence and plasma endothelin levels in DMBA-treated rats. Carcinogenesis 14, 1693–1696.
41. AM Buison , MA Pellizzon , KE Brogan (2005) Weight cycling did not increase tumor incidence in high fat – fed rats treated with a low dose 7,12-dimethylbenzyl (1) anthracene. Nutr Res 25, 1097–1108.
49. KA Varady , S Bhutani , EC Church (2009) Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: a novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults. Am J Clin Nutr 90, 1138–1143.
50. MN Harvie , M Pegington , MP Mattson (2011) The effects of intermittent or continuous energy restriction on weight loss and metabolic disease risk markers: a randomized trial in young overweight women. Int J Obes (Lond) 35(5), 714–727.
52. KA Varady (2011) Intermittent versus daily calorie restriction: which diet regimen is more effective for weight loss? Obes Rev 12, e593–e601.
53. E Kirk , DN Reeds , BN Finck (2009) Dietary fat and carbohydrates differentially alter insulin sensitivity during caloric restriction. Gastroenterology 136, 1552–1560.
55. KA Varady , DJ Roohk , YC Loe (2007) Effects of modified alternate-day fasting regimens on adipocyte size, triglyceride metabolism, and plasma adiponectin levels in mice. J Lipid Res 48, 2212–2219.
57. S Dogan , AC Johannsen , JP Grande (2011) Effects of intermittent and chronic calorie restriction on mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) and IGF-I signaling pathways in mammary fat pad tissues and mammary tumors. Nutr Cancer 63, 389–401.
59. VC Musey , S Goldstein , PK Farmer (1993) Differential regulation of IGF-I and IGF-binding protein-1 by dietary composition in humans. Am J Med Sci 305, 131–138.
60. L Fontana , EP Weiss , DT Villareal (2008) Long-term effects of calorie or protein restriction on serum IGF-I and IGFBP-3 concentration in humans. Aging Cell 7, 681–687.
62. MC Klempel & KA Varady (2011) Reliability of leptin, but not adiponectin, as a biomarker for diet-induced weight loss in humans. Nutr Rev 69, 145–154.
66. PG Morris , CA Hudis , D Giri (2011) Inflammation and increased aromatase expression occur in the breast tissue of obese women with breast cancer. Cancer Prev Res 4, 1021–1029.
67. KA Brown & ER Simpson (2010) Obesity and breast cancer: progress to understanding the relationship. Cancer Res 70, 4–7.
68. UE Martinez-Outschoorn , RG Pestell , A Howell (2011) Energy transfer in ‘parasitic’ cancer metabolism: mitochondria are the powerhouse and Achilles’ heel of tumor cells. Cell Cycle 10, 4208–4216.
69. KM Nieman , HA Kenny , CV Penicka (2011) Adipocytes promote ovarian cancer metastasis and provide energy for rapid tumor growth. Nat Med 17, 1498–1503.
70. E Sesca , F Premoselli , V Binasco (1998) Fasting-refeeding stimulates the development of mammary tumors induced by 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene. Nutr Cancer 30, 25–30.
73. O Descamps , J Riondel , V Ducros (2005) Mitochondrial production of reactive oxygen species and incidence of age-associated lymphoma in OF1 mice: effect of alternate-day fasting. Mech Ageing Dev 126, 1185–1191.
76. MP Mattson (2008) Hormesis defined. Ageing Res Rev 7, 1–7.
77. LK Heilbronn , AE Civitarese , I Bogacka (2005) Glucose tolerance and skeletal muscle gene expression in response to alternate day fasting. Obes Res 13, 574–581.
79. RR Henry , L Scheaffer & JM Olefsky (1985) Glycemic effects of intensive caloric restriction and isocaloric refeeding in noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 61, 917–925.
80. JA Thomas , JA Antonelli , JC Lloyd (2010) Effect of intermittent fasting on prostate cancer tumor growth in a mouse model. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 13, 350–355.
81. O Carlson , B Martin , KS Stote (2007) Impact of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction on glucose regulation in healthy, normal-weight middle-aged men and women. Metabolism 56, 1729–1734.
84. J Hsieh , AA Hayashi , J Webb (2008) Postprandial dyslipidemia in insulin resistance: mechanisms and role of intestinal insulin sensitivity. Atheroscler Suppl 9, 7–13.