This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. PC Calder , R Albers , JM Antoine (2009) Inflammatory disease processes and interactions with nutrition. Br J Nutr 101, S1–S45.
3. PC Calder (2009) Polyunsaturated fatty acids and inflammatory processes: new twists in an old tale. Biochimie 91, 791–795.
4. JY Lee , KH Sohn , SH Rhee (2001) Saturated fatty acids, but not unsaturated fatty acids, induce the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 mediated through Toll-like receptor 4. J Biol Chem 276, 16683–16689.
5. AR Weatherill , JY Lee , L Zhao (2005) Saturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids reciprocally modulate dendritic cell functions mediated through TLR4. J Immunol 174, 5390–5397.
6. SW Wong , MJ Kwon , AM Choi (2009) Fatty acids modulate Toll-like receptor 4 activation through regulation of receptor dimerization and recruitment into lipid rafts in a reactive oxygen species-dependent manner. J Biol Chem 284, 27384–27392.
7. A Kumar , Y Takada , AM Boriek (2004) Nuclear factor-κB: its role in health and disease. J Mol Med 82, 434–448.
8. LH Sigal (2006) Basic science for the clinician 39: NF-κB-function, activation, control, and consequences. J Clin Rheumatol 12, 207–211.
9. ND Perkins (2007) Integrating cell-signalling pathways with NF-κB and IκK function. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 8, 49–62.
10. R De Caterina & P Libby (1996) Control of endothelial leukocyte adhesion molecules by fatty acids. Lipids 31, S57–S63.
12. CJ Lo , KC Chiu , M Fu (1999) Fish oil decreases macrophage tumor necrosis factor gene transcription by altering the NF-κB activity. J Surg Res 82, 216–221.
13. TA Babcock , T Novak , E Ong (2002) Modulation of lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophage tumor necrosis factor-α production by ω-3 fatty acid is associated with differential cyclooxygenase-2 protein expression and is independent of interleukin-10. J Surg Res 107, 135–139.
14. W Kong , JH Yen , E Vassiliou (2010) Docosahexaenoic acid prevents dendritic cell maturation and in vitro and in vivo expression of the IL-12 cytokine family. Lipids Health Dis 9, 12.
16. G Renier , E Skamene , J de Sanctis (1993) Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids prevent the development of atherosclerotic lesions in mice: modulation of macrophage secretory activities. Arterioscler Thomb 13, 1515–1524.
17. P Yaqoob & PC Calder (1995) Effects of dietary lipid manipulation upon inflammatory mediator production by murine macrophages. Cell Immunol 163, 120–128.
18. S Endres , R Ghorbani , VE Kelley (1989) The effect of dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on the synthesis of interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor by mononuclear cells. N Engl J Med 320, 265–271.
20. R Abbate , AM Gori , F Martini (1996) N-3 PUFA supplementation, monocyte PCA expression and interleukin-6 production. Prostagland Leukotr Essent Fatty Acids 54, 439–444.
22. KH Baumann , F Hessel , I Larass (1999) Dietary ω-3, ω-6, and ω-9 unsaturated fatty acids and growth factor and cytokine gene expression in unstimulated and stimulated monocytes. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19, 59–66.
25. A Szanto & L Nagy (2008) The many faces of PPARγ: anti-inflammatory by any means? Immunobiol 213, 789–803.
26. W Van den Berghe , L Vermeulen , P Delerive (2003) A paradigm for gene regulation: inflammation, NF-κB and PPAR. Adv Exp Med Biol 544, 181–196.
27. F Zapata-Gonzalez , F Rueda , J Petriz (2008) Human dendritic cell activities are modulated by the omega-3 fatty acid, docosahexaenoic acid, mainly through PPAR(gamma):RXR heterodimers: comparison with other polyunsaturated fatty acids. J Leukoc Biol 84, 1172–1182.
28. DY Oh , S Talukdar , EJ Bae (2010) GPR120 is an omega-3 fatty acid receptor mediating potent anti-inflammatory and insulin-sensitizing effects. Cell 142, 687–698.
30. C Brouard & M Pascaud (1990) Effects of moderate dietary supplementations with n-3 fatty acids on macrophage and lymphocyte phospholipids and macrophage eicosanoid synthesis in the rat. Biochim Biophys Acta 1047, 19–28.
31. PC Calder , JA Bond , DJ Harvey (1990) Uptake and incorporation of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids into macrophage lipids and their effect upon macrophage adhesion and phagocytosis. Biochem J 269, 807–814.
32. RS Chapkin , CC Akoh & RE Lewis (1992) Dietary fish oil modulation of in vivo peritoneal macrophage leukotriene production and phagocytosis. J Nutr Biochem 3, 599–604.
33. ME Surette , J Whelan , G Lu (1995) Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids modify Syrian hamster platelet and macrophage phospholipid fatty acyl composition and eicosanoid synthesis: a controlled study. Biochim Biophys Acta 1255, 185–191.
34. KL Fritsche , DW Alexander , NA Cassity (1993) Maternally-supplied fish oil alters piglet immune cell fatty acid profile and eicosanoid production. Lipids 28, 677–682.
35. JD Palombo , SJ DeMichele , E Lydon (1997) Cyclic vs continuous enteral feeding with omega-3 and gamma-linolenic fatty acids: effects on modulation of phospholipid fatty acids in rat lung and liver immune cells. J Parent Enter Nutr 21, 123–132.
38. Vázquez R de La Puerta , E Martínez-Domínguez , J Sánchez Perona (2004) Effects of different dietary oils on inflammatory mediator generation and fatty acid composition in rat neutrophils. Metabolism 53, 59–65.
39. TH Lee , RL Hoover , JD Williams (1985) Effects of dietary enrichment with eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid on in vitro neutrophil and monocyte leukotriene generation and neutrophil function. N Engl J Med 312, 1217–1224.
40. RI Sperling , AI Benincaso , CT Knoell (1993) Dietary ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids inhibit phosphoinositide formation and chemotaxis in neutrophils. J Clin Invest 91, 651–960.
42. P Yaqoob , HS Pala , M Cortina-Borja (2000) Encapsulated fish oil enriched in α-tocopherol alters plasma phospholipid and mononuclear cell fatty acid compositions but not mononuclear cell functions. Eur J Clin Invest 30, 260–274.
43. DA Healy , FA Wallace , EA Miles (2000) The effect of low to moderate amounts of dietary fish oil on neutrophil lipid composition and function. Lipids 35, 763–768.
47. EA Miles , T Banerjee & PC Calder (2004) The influence of different combinations of gamma-linolenic, stearidonic and eicosapentaenoic acids on the fatty acid composition of blood lipids and mononuclear cells in human volunteers. Prostagland Leukotr Essent Fatty Acids 70, 529–538.
49. J Faber , M Berkhout , AP Vos (2011) Supplementation with a fish oil-enriched, high-protein medical food leads to rapid incorporation of EPA into white blood cells and modulates immune responses within one week in healthy men and women. J Nutr 141, 964–970.
50. BD Levy , CB Clish , B Schmidt (2001) Lipid mediator class switching during acute inflammation: signals in resolution. Nat Immunol 2, 612–619.
51. I Vachier , P Chanez , C Bonnans (2002) Endogenous anti-inflammatory mediators from arachidonate in human neutrophils. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 290, 219–224.
52. AT Gewirtz , LS Collier-Hyams , AN Young (2002) Lipoxin A4 analogs attenuate induction of intestinal epithelial proinflammatory gene expression and reduce the severity of dextran sodium sulfate-induced colitis. J Immunol 168, 5260–5267.
53. CN Serhan , A Jain , S Marleau (2003) Reduced inflammation and tissue damage in transgenic rabbits overexpressing 15-lipoxygenase and endogenous anti-inflammatory lipid mediators. J Immunol 171, 6856–6865.
55. LD Peterson , NM Jeffery , F Thies (1998) Eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids alter rat spleen leukocyte fatty acid composition and prostaglandin E2 production but have different effects on lymphocyte functions and cell-mediated immunity. Lipids 33, 171–180.
57. M Wada , CJ DeLong , YH Hong (2007) Enzymes and receptors of prostaglandin pathways with arachidonic acid-derived versus eicosapentaenoic acid-derived substrates and products. J Biol Chem 282, 22254–22266.
58. DW Goldman , WC Pickett & EJ Goetzl (1983) Human neutrophil chemotactic and degranulating activities of leukotriene B5 (LTB5) derived from eicosapentaenoic acid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 117, 282–288.
60. SP Tull , CM Yates , BH Maskrey (2009) Omega-3 Fatty acids and inflammation: novel interactions reveal a new step in neutrophil recruitment. PLoS Biol 7, e1000177.
61. CN Serhan , CB Clish , J Brannon (2000) Novel functional sets of lipid-derived mediators with antinflammatory actions generated from omega-3 fatty acids via cyclooxygenase 2-nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and transcellular processing. J Exp Med 192, 1197–1204.
62. CN Serhan , S Hong , K Gronert (2002) Resolvins: a family of bioactive products of omega-3 fatty acid transformation circuits initiated by aspirin treatment that counter pro-inflammation signals. J Exp Med 196, 1025–1037.
63. CN Serhan , N Chiang & TE van Dyke (2008) Resolving inflammation: dual anti-inflammatory and pro-resolution lipid mediators. Nat Rev Immunol 8, 349–361.
64. PC Calder (2011) Fatty acids and inflammation: the cutting edge between food and pharma. Eur J Pharmacol 668, Suppl. 1, S50–S58.
66. PR Fortin , RA Lew , MH Liang (1995) Validation of a meta-analysis: the effects of fish oil in rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Epidemiol 48, 1379–1390.
67. RJ Goldberg & J Katz (2007) A meta-analysis of the analgesic effects of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation for inflammatory joint pain. Pain 129, 210–223.
68. PC Calder (2008) Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammatory processes and inflammatory bowel diseases. Mol Nutr Food Res 52, 885–897.