This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
4. MK Serdula , D Ivery , RJ Coates et al. (1993) Do obese children become obese adults? A review of the literature. Prev Med 22, 167–177.
5. RC Whitaker , JA Wright , MS Pepe et al. (1997) Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. N Engl J Med 337, 869–873.
6. AM Magarey , LA Daniels , TJ Boulton et al. (2003) Predicting obesity in early adulthood from childhood and parental obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 505–513.
7. L Edmunds , E Walters & E Elliott (2001) Evidence based management of childhood obesity. BMJ 323, 916–919.
8. KJ Campbell , DA Crawford & K Ball (2006) Family food environment and dietary behaviors likely to promote fatness in 5–6 year-old children. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1272–1280.
9. J Peters , N Sinn , K Campbell et al. (2012) Parental influences on the diets of 2–5-year-old children: systematic review of interventions. Early Child Dev Care 182, 837–857.
11. RR Drucker , LD Hammer , WS Agras et al. (1999) Can mothers influence their child's eating behavior? J Dev Behav Pediatr 20, 88–92.
12. JO Fisher & LL Birch (1999) Restricting access to foods and children's eating. Appetite 32, 405–419.
16. MS Faith , RI Berkowitz , VA Stallings et al. (2004) Parental feeding attitudes and styles and child body mass index: prospective analysis of a gene–environment interaction. Pediatrics 114, E429–E436.
17. DG Liem , M Mars & C De Graaf (2004) Sweet preferences and sugar consumption of 4- and 5-year-old children: role of parents. Appetite 43, 235–245.
18. EM Arredondo , JP Elder , GX Ayala et al. (2006) Is parenting style related to children's healthy eating and physical activity in Latino families? Health Educ Res 21, 862–871.
19. MS Faith , BA Dennison , LS Edmunds et al. (2006) Fruit juice intake predicts increased adiposity gain in children from low-income families: weight status-by-environment interaction. Pediatrics 118, 2066–2075.
20. J Jiang , U Rosenqvist , H Wang et al. (2006) Risk factors for overweight in 2- to 6-year-old children in Beijing, China. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 103–108.
21. DL Johannsen , NM Johannsen & BL Specker (2006) Influence of parents’ eating behaviors and child feeding practices on children's weight stuatus. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 431–439.
23. SW Powers , LA Chamberlin , KB van Schaick et al. (2006) Maternal feeding strategies, child eating behaviors, and child BMI in low-income African-American preschoolers. Obesity (Silver Spring) 14, 2026–2033.
24. S Carnell & J Wardle (2007) Associations between multiple measures of parental feeding and children's adiposity in United Kingdom preschoolers. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 137–144.
25. D Musher-Eizenman & S Holub (2007) Comprehensive feeding practices questionnaire: validation of a new measure of parental feeding practices. J Pediatr Psychol 32, 960–972.
26. K Kroller & P Warschburger (2008) Associations between maternal feeding style and food intake of children with a higher risk for overweight. Appetite 51, 166–172.
27. NJ Spurrier , AA Magarey , R Golley et al. (2008) Relationships between the home environment and physical activity and dietary patterns of preschool children: a cross-sectional study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 31.
28. JL Joyce & MJ Zimmer-Gembeck (2009) Parent feeding restriction and child weight. The mediating role of child disinhibited eating and the moderating role of the parenting context. Appetite 52, 726–734.
29. J Blisset , C Meyer & E Haycraft (2006) Maternal and paternal controlling feeding practices with male and female children. Appetite 47, 212–219.
30. N Olvera & TG Power (2010) Parenting styles and obesity in Mexican American children: a longitudinal study. J Pediatr Psychol 35, 243–249.
31. JO Fisher & LL Birch (2000) Parents’ restrictive feeding practices are associated with young girls’ negative self-evaluation of eating. J Am Diet Assoc 100, 1341–1346.
32. K Brown , J Ogden , C Vogele et al. (2008) The role of parental control practices in explaining children's diet and BMI. Appetite 50, 252–259.
33. M Wake , J Nicholson , P Hardy et al. (2007) Preschooler obesity and parenting styles of mothers and fathers: Australian national population study. Pediatrics 120, 1520–1527.
34. J Blissett & E Haycraft (2008) Are parenting style and controlling feeding practices related? Appetite 50, 477–485.
35. EL Haycraft & JM Blissett (2008) Maternal and paternal controlling feeding practices: reliability and relationships with BMI. Obesity (Silver Spring) 16, 1552–1558.
36. JS Gubbels , SPJ Kremers , A Stafleu et al. (2009) Diet-related restrictive parenting practices. Impact on dietary intake of 2-year-old children and interactions with child characteristics. Appetite 52, 423–429.
37. KL Keller , A Pietrobelli , SL Johnson et al. (2006) Maternal restriction of children's eating and encouragements to eat as the ‘non-shared environment’: a pilot study using the Child Feeding Questionnaire. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1670–1675.
38. N Corsini , V Danthiir , L Kettler et al. (2008) Factor structure and psychometric properties of the Child Feeding Questionnaire in Australian preschool children. Appetite 51, 474–481.
39. S Hughes , T Power , J Fisher et al. (2005) Revisiting a neglected construct: parenting styles in a child-feeding context. Appetite 44, 83–92.
40. H Patrick , TA Nicklas , SO Hughes et al. (2005) The benefits of authoritative feeding style: caregiver feeding styles and children's food consumption patterns. Appetite 44, 243–249.
41. K Rhee , J Lumeng , D Appulgliese et al. (2006) Parenting styles and overweight status in first grade. Pediatrics 117, 2047–2054.
42. S Hoerr , S Hughes , J Fisher et al. (2009) Associations among parental feeding styles and children's food intake in families with limited incomes. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6, 55.
43. EA Colavito , JF Guthrie , AA Hertzler et al. (1996) Relationship of diet–health attitudes and nutrition knowledge of household meal planners to the fat and fiber intakes of meal planners and preschoolers. J Nutr Educ 28, 321–328.
45. MR Stolley , ML Fitzgibbon , A Dyer et al. (2003) Hip-Hop to Health Jr., an obesity prevention program for minority preschool children: baseline characteristics of participants. Prev Med 36, 320–329.
47. RC MacCallum , MW Browne & HM Sugawara (1996) Power analysis and determination of sample size for covariance structure modeling. Psychol Methods 1, 130–149.
48. E Goodman , BR Hinden & S Khandelwal (2000) Accuracy of teen and parental reports of obesity and body mass index. Pediatrics 106, 52–58.
50. A Magarey , R Golley , N Spurrier et al. (2009) Reliability and validity of the Children's Dietary Questionnaire: a new tool to measure children's dietary patterns. Int J Pediatric Obes 4, 257–265.
51. T Byers , F Treiber , E Gunter et al. (1993) The accuracy of parental reports of their children's intake of fruits and vegetables: validation of a food frequency questionnaire with serum levels of carotenoids and vitamins C, A, and E. Epidemiology 4, 350–355.
52. LL Birch , JO Fisher , K Grimm-Thomas et al. (2001) Confirmatory factor analysis of the Child Feeding Questionnaire: a measure of parental attitudes, beliefs and practices about child feeding and obesity proneness. Appetite 36, 201–210.
53. DS Arnold , SG O'Leary , LS Wolff et al. (1993) The parenting scale: a measure of dysfuncitonal parenting in discipline situations. Psychol Assess 5, 137–144.
54. AB Irvine , A Biglan , K Smolkowski et al. (1999) The value of the Parenting Scale for measuring the discipline practices of parents of middle school children. Behav Res Ther 37, 127–142.
55. E Harvey , JS Danforth , WR Ulaszek et al. (2001) Validity of the parenting scale for parents of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Behav Res Ther 39, 731–743.
56. D Reitman , P Rhode , S Hupp et al. (2002) Development and validation of the Parental Authority Questionnaire – Revised. J Psychopathol Behav Assess 24, 119–127.
57. JR Buri (1991) Parental authority questionnaire. J Pers Assess 57, 110–119.
58. G Hendrie , D Cox & J Coveney (2008) Validation of the General Nutrition Knowledge Questionnaire in an Australian community sample. Nutr Diet 65, 72–77.
59. K Parmenter & J Wardle (1999) Development of a general nutrition knowledge questionnaire for adults. Eur J Clin Nutr 53, 298–308.
60. B Efron (1981) Nonparametric estimates of standard error: the jackknife, the bootstrap and other methods. Biometrika 68, 589–599.
61. J Schafer (1997) Analysis of Incomplete Multivariate Data. London: Chapman & Hall.
64. JE Gregory , SJ Paxton & AM Brozovic (2010) Pressure to eat and restriction are associated with child eating behaviours and maternal concern about child weight, but not child body mass index, in 2- to 4-year-old children. Appetite 54, 550–556.
65. J Gregory , S Paxton & A Brozovic (2010) Maternal feeding practices, child eating behaviour and body mass index in preschool-aged children: a prospective analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 7, 55.
66. MW Gillman , SL Rifas-Shiman , AL Frazier et al. (2000) Family dinner and diet quality among older children and adolescents. Arch Fam Med 9, 235–240.
67. D Neumark-Sztainer , PJ Hannan , M Story et al. (2003) Family meal patterns: associations with sociodemographic characteristics and improved dietary intake among adolescents. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 317–322.
68. TM Videon & CK Manning (2003) Influences on adolescent eating patterns: the importance of family meals. J Adolesc Health 32, 365–373.
69. C Sweetman , L McGowan , H Croker et al. (2011) Characteristics of family mealtimes affecting children's vegetable consumption and liking. J Am Diet Assoc 111, 269–273.
71. L Neville , M Thomas & A Bauman (2005) Food advertising on Australian television: the extent of children's exposure. Health Promot Int 20, 105–112.
72. K Rhee (2008) Childhood overwight and the relationship between parent behaviors, parenting style & family functioning. Ann Am Acad Pol Soc Sci 615, 12–37.
73. AE Baughcum , SW Powers , SB Johnson et al. (2001) Maternal feeding practices and beliefs and their relationships to overweight in early childhood. J Dev Behav Pediatr 22, 391–408.
74. J Wardle , S Sanderson , CA Guthrie et al. (2002) Parental feeding style and the inter-generational transmission of obesity risk. Obes Res 10, 453–462.
75. DF Hardy , TG Power & S Jaedicke (1993) Examining the relation of parenting to children's coping with everyday stress. Child Dev 64, 1829–1841.
77. SO Hughes , CB Anderson , TG Power et al. (2006) Measuring feeding in low-income African-American and Hispanic parents. Appetite 46, 215–223.
78. HM Hendy & B Raudenbush (2000) Effectiveness of teacher modeling to encourage food acceptance in preschool children. Appetite 34, 61–76.
80. J Wardle , LJ Cooke , L Gibson et al. (2003) Increasing children's acceptance of vegetables: a randomized trial of parent-led exposure. Appetite 40, 155–162.
81. E Gibson , J Wardle & C Watts (1998) Fruit and vegetable consumption, nutritional knowledge and beliefs in mothers and children. Appetite 31, 205–228.
82. AE Baughcum , KA Burklow , CM Deeks et al. (1998) Maternal feeding practices and childhood obesity: a focus group study of low-income mothers. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 152, 1010–1014.
83. T van Strien , JER Frijters , GPA Bergers et al. (1986) The Dutch Eating Behavior Questionnaire (DEBQ) for assessment of restrained, emotional and external eating behavior. Int J Eat Disord 5, 747–755.
86. DR Musher-Eizenman , B de Lauzon-Guillain , SC Holub et al. (2009) Child and parent characteristics related to parental feeding practices. a cross-cultural examination in the US and France. Appetite 52, 89–95.