1. ST Stewart , DM Cutler & AB Rosen (2009) Forecasting the effects of obesity and smoking on US life expectancy. N Engl J Med 361, 2252–2260.
2. NK Mehta & VW Chang (2009) Mortality attributable to obesity among middle-aged adults in the United States. Demography 46, 851–872.
3. Q Sun , MK Townsend , OI Okereke (2009) Adiposity and weight change in mid-life in relation to healthy survival after age 70 in women: prospective cohort study. BMJ 339, b3796.
4. KM Flegal , MD Carroll , CL Ogden (2010) Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999–2008. JAMA 303, 235–241.
6. LR Petersen & LS Doll (1991) Human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected blood donors: epidemiologic, laboratory, and donation characteristics. The HIV Blood Donor Study Group. Transfusion 31, 698–703.
7. MP Busch , DJ Wright , B Custer (2006) West Nile virus infections projected from blood donor screening data, United States, 2003. Emerg Infect Dis 12, 395–402.
9. TB Wiltbank , GF Giordano , H Kamel (2008) Faint and prefaint reactions in whole-blood donors: an analysis of predonation measurements and their predictive value. Transfusion 48, 1799–1808.
10. JA Rios , J Fang , Y Tu (2010) The potential impact of selective donor deferrals based on estimated blood volume on vasovagal reactions and donor deferral rates. Transfusion 50, 1265–1275.
12. F Atsma & F de Vegt (2011) The healthy donor effect: a matter of selection bias and confounding. Transfusion 51, 1883–1885.
13. YC Wang , GA Colditz & KM Kuntz (2007) Forecasting the obesity epidemic in the aging US population. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 2855–2865.
14. EN Reither , RM Hauser & Y Yang (2009) Do birth cohorts matter? Age–period–cohort analyses of the obesity epidemic in the United States. Soc Sci Med 69, 1439–1448.
15. SJ Olshansky , DJ Passaro , RC Hershow (2005) A potential decline in life expectancy in the United States in the 21st century. N Engl J Med 352, 1138–1145.
16. DK Arnett , PG McGovern , DR Jacobs Jr (2002) Fifteen-year trends in cardiovascular risk factors (1980–1982 through 1995–1997): the Minnesota Heart Survey. Am J Epidemiol 156, 929–935.
17. DT Silverman , RN Hoover , LM Brown (2003) Why do Black Americans have a higher risk of pancreatic cancer than White Americans? Epidemiology 14, 45–54.
18. MD Fesinmeyer , R Gulati , S Zeliadt (2009) Effect of population trends in body mass index on prostate cancer incidence and mortality in the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18, 808–815.
19. ES Ford , DG Moriarty , MM Zack (2001) Self-reported body mass index and health-related quality of life: findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Obes Res 9, 21–31.
20. MM Corrada , CH Kawas , F Mozaffar (2006) Association of body mass index and weight change with all-cause mortality in the elderly. Am J Epidemiol 163, 938–949.
21. A Basu (2010) Forecasting distribution of body mass index in the United States: is there more room for growth? Med Decis Making 30, E1–E11.
22. J Park , D Myers , D Kao (2009) Immigrant obesity and unhealthy assimilation: alternative estimates of convergence or divergence, 1995–2005. Soc Sci Med 69, 1625–1633.
23. SK Lee , J Sobal , EA Frongillo (2005) Parity and body weight in the United States: differences by race and size of place of residence. Obes Res 13, 1263–1269.
24. L McLaren (2007) Socioeconomic status and obesity. Epidemiol Rev 29, 29–48.
25. Q Zhang & Y Wang (2004) Trends in the association between obesity and socioeconomic status in US adults: 1971 to 2000. Obes Res 12, 1622–1632.