This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. F Mathews , P Yudkin & A Neil (1999) Influence of maternal nutrition on outcome of pregnancy: prospective cohort study. BMJ 319, 339–343.
2. K Godfrey , S Robinson , DJP Barker , C Osmond & V Cox (1996) Maternal nutrition in early and late pregnancy in relation to placental and fetal growth. BMJ 312, 410–414.
3. PD Gluckman & MA Hanson (2004) Living with the past: evolution, development, and patterns of disease. Science 305, 1733–1736.
4. TJ Roseboom , JH van der Meulen , C Osmond , DJ Barker , AC Ravelli , JM Schroeder-Tanka , GA van Montfrans , RP Michels & OP Bleker (2000) Coronary heart disease after prenatal exposure to the Dutch famine, 1944–45. Heart 84, 595–598.
6. F Debes , E Budtz-Jorgensen , P Weihe , RF White & P Grandjean (2006) Impact of prenatal methylmercury exposure on neurobehavioral function at age 14 years. Neurotoxicol Teratol 28, 363–375.
13. P Idjradinata & E Pollitt (1993) Reversal of developmental delays in iron-deficient anaemic infants treated with iron. Lancet 341, 1–4.
16. M Merialdi , LE Caulfield , N Zavaleta , A Figueroa & JA DiPietro (1999) Adding zinc to prenatal iron and folate tablets improves fetal neurobehavioral development. Am J Obstet Gynecol 180, 483–490.
17. DH Holben & AM Smith (1999) The diverse role of selenium within selenoproteins: a review. J Am Diet Assoc 99, 836–843.
18. C Watanabe (2001) Selenium deficiency and brain functions: the significance for methylmercury toxicity. Nippon Eiseigaku Zasshi 55, 581–589.
19. PS Sastry (1985) Lipids of nervous tissue: composition and metabolism. Prog Lipid Res 24, 169–176.
20. MT Clandinin , JE Chappell , S Leong , T Heim , PR Swyer & GW Chance (1980) Intrauterine fatty acid accretion rates in human brain: implications for fatty acid requirements. Early Hum Dev 4, 121–129.
21. M Hadders-Algra , H Bouwstra , SA van Goor , DA Dijck-Brouwer & FA Muskiet (2007) Prenatal and early postnatal fatty acid status and neurodevelopmental outcome. J Perinat Med 35, S28–S34.
22. SH Zeisel (2000) Choline: an essential nutrient for humans. Nutrition 16, 669–671.
24. MJ Glenn , EM Gibson , ED Kirby , TJ Mellott , JK Blusztajn & CL Williams (2007) Prenatal choline availability modulates hippocampal neurogenesis and neurogenic responses to enriching experiences in adult female rats. Eur J Neurosci 25, 2473–2482.
34. AE Black (2000) The sensitivity and specificity of the Goldberg cut-off for EI:BMR for identifying diet reports of poor validity. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 395–404.
36. GJ Myers , PW Davidson , C Cox (2003) Prenatal methylmercury exposure from ocean fish consumption in the Seychelles Child Development Study. Lancet 361, 1686–1692.
38. JM Morimoto , DM Marchioni & RM Fisberg (2006) Using dietary reference intake-based methods to estimate prevalence of inadequate nutrient intake among female students in Brazil. J Am Diet Assoc 106, 733–736.
41. PW Davidson , GJ Myers , C Cox , GE Wilding , CF Shamlaye , LS Huang , E Cernichiari , J Sloane-Reeves , D Palumbo & TW Clarkson (2006) Methylmercury and neurodevelopment: longitudinal analysis of the Seychelles child development cohort. Neurotoxicol Teratol 28, 529–535.
42. MP Bonham , EM Duffy , JMW Wallace , PJ Robson , GJ Myers , PW Davidson , TW Clarkson , CF Shamlaye & JJ Strain (2008) Habitual fish consumption does not prevent a decrease in LCPUFA status in pregnant women (the Seychelles Child Development Nutrition Study). Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 78, 343–350.
47. H Kesa & W Oldewage-Theron (2005) Anthropometric indications and nutritional intake of women in the Vaal Triangle, South Africa. Public Health 119, 294–300.
48. M Zimmermann & F Delange (2004) Iodine supplementation of pregnant women in Europe: a review and recommendations. Eur J Clin Nutr 58, 979–984.
49. RC Smallridge & PW Ladenson (2001) Hypothyroidism in pregnancy: consequences to neonatal health. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86, 2349–2353.
50. W Maret & HH Sandstead (2006) Zinc requirements and the risks and benefits of zinc supplementation. J Trace Elem Med Biol 20, 3–18.
51. M Gossell-Williams , H Fletcher , N McFarlane-Anderson , A Jacob , J Patel & S Zeisel (2005) Dietary intake of choline and plasma choline concentrations in pregnant women in Jamaica. West Indian Med J 54, 355–359.
53. AE Black (2002) Critical evaluation of energy intake using the Goldberg cut-off for energy intake:basal metabolic rate. A practical guide to its calculation, use and limitations. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1119–1130.
55. DA Schoeller (1995) Limitations in the assessment of dietary energy intake by self-report. Metabolism 44, 18–22.
56. AF Subar , V Kipnis , RP Troiano (2003) Using intake biomarkers to evaluate the extent of dietary misreporting in a large sample of adults: the OPEN study. Am J Epidemiol 158, 1–13.