This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. RH Eckel , SM Grundy & PZ Zimmet (2005) The metabolic syndrome. Lancet 365, 1415–1428.
2. B Isomaa , P Almgren , T Tuomi , B Forsén , K Lahti , M Nissén , MR Taskinen & L Groop (2001) Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Care 24, 683–689.
3. PWF Wilson , RB D’Agostino , H Parise , L Sullivan & JB Meigs (2005) Metabolic syndrome as a precursor of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Circulation 112, 3066–3072.
4. SM Grundy , JI Cleeman , SR Daniels (2005) Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement: Executive Summary. Circulation 112, 2735–2752.
5. MW Steffes , MD Gross , PJ Schreiner , X Yu , JE Hilner , R Gingerich & DR Jacobs Jr (2004) Serum adiponectin in young adults – interactions with central adiposity, circulating levels of glucose, and insulin resistance: the CARDIA study. Ann Epidemiol 14, 492–498.
6. CJ Dobbelsteyn , MR Joffres , DR MacLean & G Flowerdew (2001) A comparative evaluation of waist circumference, waist-to-hip ratio and body mass index as indicators of cardiovascular risk factors. The Canadian Heart Health Surveys. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 652–661.
7. I Janssen , PT Katzmarzyk & R Ross (2002) Body mass index, waist circumference and health risk. Arch Intern Med 162, 2074–2079.
8. M Bitsori & A Kafatos (2005) Dysmetabolic syndrome in childhood and adolescence. Acta Paediatr 94, 995–1005.
9. TT-K Huang , GDC Ball & PW Franks (2007) Metabolic syndrome in youth: current issues and challenges. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 32, 13–22.
10. ES Ford , AH Mokdad & UA Ajani (2004) Trends in risk factors for cardiovascular disease among children and adolescents in the United States. Pediatrics 114, 1534–1544.
11. C Li , ES Ford , AH Mokdad & S Cook (2006) Recent trends in waist circumference and waist-height ratio among children and adolescents. Pediatrics 118, e1390–e1398.
12. HD McCarthy , KV Jarrett , PM Emmett & I Rogers (2005) Trends in waist circumference in young British children: a comparative study. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 157–162.
13. LA Moreno , A Sarría , J Fleta , A Marcos & M Bueno (2005) Secular trends in waist circumference in Spanish adolescents, 1995 to 2000–02. Arch Dis Child 90, 818–819.
14. C Maffeis , A Pietrobelli , A Grezzani , S Provera & L Tatò (2001) Waist circumference and cardiovascular risk factors in prepubertal children. Obes Res 9, 179–187.
15. SC Savva , M Tornaritis , ME Savva , Y Kourides , A Panagi , N Silikiotou , C Georgiou & A Kafatos (2000) Waist circumference and waist-to-height ratio are better predictors of cardiovascular disease risk factors in children than body mass. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1453–1458.
16. V Hirschler , C Aranda , L Calcagno Mde , G Maccalini & M Jadzinsky (2005) Can waist circumference identify children with the metabolic syndrome? Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159, 740–744.
17. LA Moreno , I Pineda , G Rodríguez , J Fleta , A Sarría & M Bueno (2002) Waist circumference for the screening of the metabolic syndrome in children. Acta Paediatr 91, 1307–1312.
19. E Wirfält , B Hedblad , B Gullberg , I Mattison , C Andrén , U Rosander , L Janzon & G Berglund (2001) Food patterns and components of the metabolic syndrome in men and women: a cross-sectional study within the Malmö Diet and Cancer Cohort. Am J Epidemiol 154, 1150–1159.
24. M von Post-Skågegard , G Samuelson , B Karlström , R Mohsen , L Berglund & L-E Bratteby (2002) Changes in food habits in healthy Swedish adolescents during the transition from adolescence to adulthood. Eur J Clin Nutr 56, 532–538.
26. D Feskanich , BH Sielaff , K Chong & IM Buzzard (1989) Computerized collection and analysis of dietary intake information. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 30, 47–57.
30. WA Marshall & JM Tanner (1969) Variations in pattern of pubertal changes in girls. Arch Dis Child 44, 291–303.
31. WA Marshall & JM Tanner (1970) Variation in the pattern of pubertal changes in boys. Arch Dis Child 45, 13–23.
32. P Zimmet , KG Alberti , F Kaufman , N Tajima , M Silink , S Arslanian , G Wong , P Bennett , J Shaw & S Caprio ; IDF Consensus Group (2007) The metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents – an IDF consensus report. Pediatr Diabetes 8, 299–306.
36. LL Moore , ML Bradlee , D Gao & MR Singer (2006) Low dairy intake in early childhood predicts excess body fat gain. Obes Res 14, 1010–1018.
37. TT Huang & MA McCrory (2005) Dairy intake, obesity, and metabolic health in children and adolescents: knowledge and gaps. Nutr Rev 63, 71–80.
38. PK Newby (2007) Are dietary intakes and eating behaviors related to childhood obesity? A comprehensive review of the evidence. J Law Med Ethics 35, 35–60.
39. PK Newby , KE Peterson , CS Berkey , J Leppert , WC Willett & GA Colditz (2003) Dietary composition and weight change among low-income preschool children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157, 759–764.
40. BA Barton , AL Eldridge , D Thompson , SG Affenito , RH Striegel-Moore , DL Franko , AM Albertson & SJ Crockett (2005) The relationship of breakfast and cereal consumption to nutrient intake and body mass index: The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Growth and Health Study. J Am Diet Assoc 105, 1383–1389.
42. MA Pereira , DR Jacobs Jr, L Van Horn , ML Slattery , AI Kartashov & DS Ludwig (2002) Dairy consumption, obesity, and the insulin resistance syndrome in young adults: the CARDIA study. JAMA 287, 2081–2089.
43. MB Zemel , J Richards , S Mathis , A Milstead , L Gebhardt & E Silva (2005) Dairy augmentation of total and central fat loss in obese subjects. Int J Obes (Lond) 29, 391–397.
44. DS Ludwig , MA Pereira , CH Kroenke , JE Hilner , L Van Horn , ML Slattery & DR Jacobs Jr (1999) Dietary fiber, weight gain, and cardiovascular disease risk factors in young adults. JAMA 282, 1539–1546.
46. HS Kahn , LM Tatham , C Rodriguez , EE Calle , MJ Thun & CW Heath (1997) Stable behaviours associated with adults’ 10-year change in body mass index and likelihood of gain at waist. Am J Public Health 87, 747–754.
47. JJMF Wagemakers , CJ Prynne , AM Stephen & MEJ Wadsworth (2009) Consumption of red or processed meat does not predict risk factors for coronary heart disease; results from a cohort of British adults in 1989 and 1999. Eur J Clin Nutr 63, 303–311.
49. BL Luhovyy , T Akhavan & GH Anderson (2007) Whey proteins in the regulation of food intake and satiety. J Am Coll Nutr 26, 704S–712S.
53. BJ Rolls , JA Ello-Martin & BC Tohill (2004) What can intervention studies tell us about the relationship between fruit and vegetable consumption and weight management? Nutr Rev 62, 1–17.
54. PM Carrera , G Xiang & KL Tucker (2007) A study of dietary patterns in the Mexican-American population and their association with obesity. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1735–1742.