This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin (2010) Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007–2008. JAMA 303, 242–249.
2. CL Ogden , MD Carroll & KM Flegal (2008) High body mass index for age among US children and adolescents, 2003–2006. JAMA 299, 2401–2405.
3. Y Wang & T Lobstein (2006) Worldwide trends in childhood overweight and obesity. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 11–25.
4. T Lobstein , LA Baur & R Jackson-Leach (2010) The childhood obesity epidemic. In Preventing Childhood Obesity: Evidence Policy and Practice, pp. 3–14 [E Waters, BA Swinburn, JC Seidell et al., editors]. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
6. M Dehghan , N Akhtar-Danesh & A Merchant (2005) Childhood obesity, prevalence and prevention. Nutr J 4, 24.
7. BM Spiegelman & JS Flier (2001) Obesity and the regulation of energy balance. Cell 104, 531–543.
8. M Golan & A Weizman (2001) Familial approach to the treatment of childhood obesity: conceptual model. J Nutr Educ 33, 102–107.
9. RR Rosenkranz & DA Dzewaltowski (2008) A model of the home food environment pertaining to childhood obesity. Nutr Rev 66, 123–140.
10. J Pugliese & B Tinsley (2007) Parental socialization of child and adolescent physical activity: a meta-analysis. J Fam Psychol 21, 331–343.
11. MY Hood & RC Ellison (2000) Parental eating attitudes and the development of obesity in children. The Framingham Children's Study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24, 1319–1325.
12. JO Fisher , DC Mitchell , HS Wright (2002) Parental influences on young girls’ fruit and vegetable, micronutrient, and fat intakes. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 58–64.
13. LL Birch (1999) Development of food preferences. Annu Rev Nutr 19, 41–62.
14. M Browne (2009) A comparative study of parental behaviors and children's eating habits. Infant Child Adolesc Nutr 1, 11–14.
15. SP Kremers (2003) Parental style and adolescent fruit consumption. Appetite 41, 43–50.
16. KE Rhee , JC Lumeng , DP Appugliese (2006) Parenting styles and overweight status in first grade. Pediatrics 117, 2047–2054.
17. K Bauer , M Nelson , K Boutelle (2008) Parental influences on adolescents’ physical activity and sedentary behavior: longitudinal findings from Project EAT-II. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 12.
18. KJ Campbell , DA Crawford , J Salmon (2007) Associations between the home food environment and obesity-promoting eating behaviors in adolescence. Obesity (Silver Spring) 15, 719–730.
19. EL Gibson , J Wardle & CJ Watts (1998) Fruit and vegetable consumption, nutritional knowledge and beliefs in mothers and children. Appetite 31, 205–228.
20. ST Leatherdale & SL Wong (2008) Modifiable characteristics associated with sedentary behaviours among youth. Int J Pediatr Obes 3, 93–101.
21. L Haerens , M Craeynest , B Deforche (2007) The contribution of psychosocial and home environmental factors in explaining eating behaviours in adolescents. Eur J Clin Nutr 62, 51–59.
22. B Fees , S Trost , M Bopp (2009) Physical activity programming in family child care homes: providers’ perceptions of practices and barriers. J Nutr Educ Behav 41, 268–273.
23. N Spurrier , A Magarey , R Golley (2008) Relationships between the home environment and physical activity and dietary patterns of preschool children: a cross-sectional study. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 31.
24. L Blanchette & J Brug (2005) Determinants of fruit and vegetable consumption among 6–12-year-old children and effective interventions to increase consumption. J Hum Nutr Diet 18, 431–443.
25. P Kratt , K Reynolds & R Shewchuk (2000) The role of availability as a moderator of family fruit and vegetable consumption. Health Educ Behav 27, 471–482.
26. BE Saelins , JF Sallis , PR Nader (2002) Home environmental influences on children's television watching from early to middle childhood. J Dev Behav Pediatr 23, 127–132.
27. J Salmon , A Timperio , A Telford (2005) Association of family environment with children's television viewing and with low level of physical activity. Obes Res 13, 1939–1951.
28. SA French , ST Shimotsu , M Wall (2008) Capturing the spectrum of household food and beverage purchasing behavior: a review. J Am Diet Assoc 108, 2051–2058.
29. M Bryant & J Stevens (2006) Measurement of food availability in the home. Nutr Rev 64, 67–76.
30. RA McKinnon , J Reedy , MA Morrissette (2009) Measures of the food environment: a compilation of the literature, 1990–2007. Am J Prev Med 36, 4 Suppl., S124–S133.
31. D Berry , R Sheehan , R Heschel (2004) Family-based interventions for childhood obesity: a review. J Fam Nurs 10, 429–449.
32. N McLean , S Griffin , K Toney (2003) Family involvement in weight control, weight maintenance and weight-loss interventions: a systematic review of randomised trials. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27, 987–1005.
34. P Nowicka & C Flodmark (2008) Family in pediatric obesity management: a literature review. Int J Pediatr Obes 3, Suppl. 1, 44–50.
35. A Ventura & L Birch (2008) Does parenting affect children's eating and weight status? Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 15.
36. EM Young , SW Fors , E Fasha (2004) Associations between perceived parents behaviors and middle school student fruit and vegetable consumption. J Nutr Educ Behav 36, 2–12.
37. DJ Hand (1996) Statistics and the theory of measurement. R Stat Soc Series 159, 445–492.
38. ML Gattshall , JA Shoup , JA Marshall (2008) Validation of a survey instrument to assess home environments for physical activity and healthy eating in overweight children. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 3.
39. EA Rosno , RG Steele , CA Johnston (2008) Parental locus of control: associations to adherence and outcomes in the treatment of pediatric overweight. Children's Health Care 37, 126–144.
40. MD Hearn , T Baranowski , J Baranowski (1998) Environmental influences on dietary behavior among children: availability and accessibility of fruits and vegetables enable consumption. J Health Educ 29, 26–32.
41. T Marsh , KW Cullen & T Baranowski (2003) Validation of a fruit, juice, and vegetable availability questionnaire. J Nutr Educ Behav 35, 93–97.
42. KW Cullen , T Baranowski , E Owens (2003) Availability, accessibility, and preferences for fruit, 100 % fruit juice, and vegetables influence children's dietary behavior. Health Educ Behav 30, 615–626.
44. KW Cullen & D Thompson (2008) Feasibility of an 8-week African American web-based pilot program promoting healthy eating behaviors: Family Eats. Am J Health Behav 32, 40–51.
46. J Fulkerson , M Nelson , L Lytle (2008) The validation of a home food inventory. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 55.
47. P van Assema , K Glanz , M Martens (2007) Differences between parents’ and adolescents’ perceptions of family food rules and availability. J Nutr Educ Behav 39, 84–89.
48. C Hume , K Ball & J Salmon (2006) Development and reliability of a self-report questionnaire to examine children's perceptions of the physical activity environment at home and in the neighbourhood. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 3, 16.
49. JR Sirard , MC Nelson , MA Pereira (2008) Validity and reliability of a home environment inventory for physical activity and media equipment. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 24.
50. EA Wartella & N Jennings (2000) Children and computers: new technology – old concerns. Future Child 10, 31–43.
51. D Rosenberg , J Sallis , J Kerr (2010) Brief scales to assess physical activity and sedentary equipment in the home. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 7, 10.
52. A Timperio , J Salmon , K Ball (2008) Family physical activity and sedentary environments and weight change in children. Int J Pediatr Obes 3, 160–167.
53. MV van Zutphen , AC Bell , PJ Kremer (2007) Association between the family environment and television viewing in Australian children. J Paediatr Child Health 43, 458–463.
54. M Golan & A Weizman (1998) Reliability and validity of the Family Eating and Activity Habits Questionnaire. Eur J Clin Nutr 52, 771–777.
55. AE Evans , J Dave , A Tanner (2006) Changing the home nutrition environment: effects of a nutrition and media literacy pilot intervention. Fam Community Health 29, 43–54.
56. N Pearson , A Timperio , J Salmon (2009) Family influences on children's physical activity and fruit and vegetable consumption. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6, 34.
57. KW Cullen , T Baranowski , L Rittenberry (2001) Child-reported family and peer influences on fruit, juice and vegetable consumption: reliability and validity of measures. Health Educ Res 16, 187–200.
58. CA Vereecken , E Keukelier & L Maes (2004) Influence of mother's educational level on food parenting practices and food habits of young children. Appetite 43, 93–103.
59. KJ Campbell , DA Crawford & K Ball (2006) Family food environment and dietary behaviors likely to promote fatness in 5–6 year-old children. Int J Obes (Lond) 30, 1272–1280.
60. SE Larios , GX Ayala , EM Arredondo (2009) Development and validation of a scale to measure Latino parenting strategies related to children's obesigenic behaviors. The parenting strategies for eating and activity scale (PEAS). Appetite 52, 166–172.
61. D Neumark-Sztainer , M Wall , C Perry (2003) Correlates of fruit and vegetable intake among adolescents: findings from Project EAT. Prev Med 37, 198–208.
62. JM Dave , AE Evans , KA Pfeiffer (2010) Correlates of availability and accessibility of fruits and vegetables in homes of low-income Hispanic families. Health Educ Res 25, 97–108.
63. MJ Bryant , DS Ward , D Hales (2008) Reliability and validity of the Healthy Home Survey: a tool to measure factors within homes hypothesized to relate to overweight in children. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 23.
64. M Ihmels , G Welk , J Eisenmann (2009) Development and preliminary validation of a Family Nutrition and Physical Activity (FNPA) screening tool. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6, 14.
65. AM Wilson , A Magarey & Mastersson N (2007) Reliability and relative validity of a child nutrition questionnaire to simultaneously assess dietary patterns associated with positive energy balance and food behaviours, attitudes, knowledge and environments associated with healthy eating. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 5, 5.
66. LL Birch , JO Fisher , K Grimm-Thomas (2001) Confirmatory factor analysis of the Child Feeding Questionnaire: a measure of parental attitudes, beliefs and practices about child feeding and obesity proneness. Appetite 36, 201–210.
68. J Ogden , R Reynolds & A Smith (2006) Expanding the concept of parental control: a role for overt and covert control in children's snacking behaviour? Appetite 47, 100–106.
70. SO Hughes , TG Power , J Orlet Fisher (2005) Revisiting a neglected construct: parenting styles in a child-feeding context. Appetite 44, 83–92.
72. JL Joyce & MJ Zimmer-Gembeck (2009) Parent feeding restriction and child weight. The mediating role of child disinhibited eating and the moderating role of the parenting context. Appetite 52, 726–734.
73. EM Arredondo , JP Elder , GX Ayala (2006) Is parenting style related to children's healthy eating and physical activity in Latino families? Health Educ Res 21, 862–871.
74. K Kroller & P Warschburger (2009) Maternal feeding strategies and child's food intake: considering weight and demographic influences using structural equation modeling. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6, 78.
75. KM Young , JJ Northern , KM Lister (2007) A meta-analysis of family-behavioral weight-loss treatments for children. Clin Psychol Rev 27, 240–249.
76. K Bollen & R Lennox (1991) Conventional wisdom on measurement – a structural equation perspective. Psychol Bull 110, 305–314.