This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. BO Schneeman (2003) Evolution of dietary guidelines. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 12 Suppl. 2, S5–S9.
6. P Lichtenstein , NV Holm , PK Verkasalo (2000) Environmental and heritable factors in the causation of cancer – analyses of cohorts of twins from Sweden, Denmark, and Finland. N Engl J Med 343, 78–85.
7. LA Mucci , LB Signorello & HO Adami (2008) Prostate cancer. In Textbook of Cancer Epidemiology, 2nd ed., pp. 517–554 [HO Adami, D Hunter and D Trichopoulos, editors]. London: Oxford University Press.
8. CS Muir , J Nectoux & J Staszewski (1991) The epidemiology of prostatic-cancer – geographical-distribution and time-trends. Acta Oncol 30, 133–140.
9. T Rastogi , S Devesa , P Mangtani (2008) Cancer incidence rates among South Asians in four geographic regions: India, Singapore, UK and US. Int J Epidemiol 37, 147–160.
10. H Shimizu , RK Ross , L Bernstein (1991) Cancers of the prostate and breast among Japanese and white immigrants in Los Angeles County. Br J Cancer 63, 963–966.
11. S Hori , E Butler & J McLoughlin (2011) Prostate cancer and diet: food for thought? BJU Int 107, 1348–1359.
13. HG Skinner & GG Schwartz (2008) Serum calcium and incident and fatal prostate cancer in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17, 2302–2305.
14. RW Ma & K Chapman (2009) A systematic review of the effect of diet in prostate cancer prevention and treatment. J Hum Nutr Diet 22, 187–199.
15. LN Kolonel (2001) Fat, meat, and prostate cancer. Epidemiol Rev 23, 72–81.
17. M Hedelin , KA Balter , ET Chang (2006) Dietary intake of phytoestrogens, estrogen receptor-β polymorphisms and the risk of prostate cancer. Prostate 66, 1512–1520.
18. M Hedelin , ET Chang , F Wiklund (2007) Association of frequent consumption of fatty fish with prostate cancer risk is modified by COX-2 polymorphism. Int J Cancer 120, 398–405.
19. H Li , PW Kantoff , E Giovannucci (2005) Manganese superoxide dismutase polymorphism, prediagnostic antioxidant status, and risk of clinical significant prostate cancer. Cancer Res 65, 2498–2504.
20. AC Reese , V Fradet & JS Witte (2009) Omega-3 fatty acids, genetic variants in COX-2 and prostate cancer. J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics 2, 149–158.
21. A Steinbrecher , S Rohrmann , M Timofeeva (2010) Dietary glucosinolate intake, polymorphisms in selected biotransformation enzymes, and risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19, 135–143.
22. ET Chang , M Hedelin , HO Adami (2005) Alcohol drinking and risk of localized versus advanced and sporadic versus familial prostate cancer in Sweden. Cancer Causes Control 16, 275–284.
23. M Hedelin , A Klint , ET Chang (2006) Dietary phytoestrogen, serum enterolactone and risk of prostate cancer: the cancer prostate Sweden study (Sweden). Cancer Causes Control 17, 169–180.
24. F Lindmark , SL Zheng , F Wiklund (2004) H6D polymorphism in macrophage-inhibitory cytokine-1 gene associated with prostate cancer. J Nat Cancer Inst 96, 1248–1254.
25. ET Chang , KE Smedby , SM Zhang (2005) Dietary factors and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in men and women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14, 512–520.
26. A Westerlund , G Steineck , K Balter (2011) Dietary supplement use patterns in men with prostate cancer: the Cancer Prostate Sweden study. Ann Oncol 22, 967–972.
29. A Norman , R Bellocco , A Bergstrom (2001) Validity and reproducibility of self-reported total physical activity – differences by relative weight. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25, 682–688.
31. M Jackson , S Walker , C Simpson (2009) Are food patterns associated with prostate cancer in Jamaican men: a preliminary report. Infect Agent Cancer 4, Suppl. 1, S5.
32. DC Muller , G Severi , L Baglietto (2009) Dietary patterns and prostate cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18, 3126–3129.
33. K Wu , FB Hu , WC Willett (2006) Dietary patterns and risk of prostate cancer in US men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15, 167–171.
34. GL Ambrosini , L Fritschi , NH de Klerk (2008) Dietary patterns identified using factor analysis and prostate cancer risk: a case control study in Western Australia. Ann Epidemiol 18, 364–370.
35. M Walker , KJ Aronson , W King (2005) Dietary patterns and risk of prostate cancer in Ontario, Canada. Int J Cancer 116, 592–598.
38. H Kirkegaard , NF Johnsen , J Christensen (2010) Association of adherence to lifestyle recommendations and risk of colorectal cancer: a prospective Danish cohort study. BMJ 341, c5504.
39. PE Miller , P Lazarus , SM Lesko (2010) Diet index-based and empirically derived dietary patterns are associated with colorectal cancer risk. J Nutr 140, 1267–1273.
40. J Reedy , PN Mitrou , SM Krebs-Smith (2008) Index-based dietary patterns and risk of colorectal cancer. Am J Epidemiol 168, 38–48.
44. JD Seymour , EE Calle , EW Flagg (2003) Diet quality index as a predictor of short-term mortality in the American Cancer Society Cancer Prevention Study II Nutrition Cohort. Am J Epidemiol 157, 980–988.
45. A von Ruesten , AK Illner , B Buijsse (2010) Adherence to recommendations of the German food pyramid and risk of chronic diseases: results from the EPIC-Potsdam study. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 1251–1259.
46. E Giovannucci , Y Liu , MJ Stampfer (2006) A prospective study of calcium intake and incident and fatal prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15, 203–210.
47. SJ Freedland & EA Platz (2007) Obesity and prostate cancer: making sense out of apparently conflicting data. Epidemiol Rev 29, 88–97.
49. AW Roddam , NE Allen , P Appleby (2008) Insulin-like growth factors, their binding proteins, and prostate cancer risk: analysis of individual patient data from 12 prospective studies. Ann Intern Med 149, 461–471.
50. BM Nielsen , MM Nielsen , S Toubro (2009) Past and current body size affect validity of reported energy intake among middle-aged Danish men. J Nutr 139, 2337–2343.
51. W Willett (1998) Nutritional Epidemiology, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.
53. LR Wilkens , JH Hankin , CN Yoshizawa (1992) Comparison of long-term dietary recall between cancer cases and noncases. Am J Epidemiol 136, 825–835.
54. LW Mroz , GE Chapman , JL Oliffe (2011) Men, food, and prostate cancer: gender influences on men's diets. Am J Mens Health 5, 177–187.
55. RE Patterson , ML Neuhouser , MM Hedderson (2003) Changes in diet, physical activity, and supplement use among adults diagnosed with cancer. J Am Diet Assoc 103, 323–328.