This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. SL Gortmaker , BA Swinburn , D Levy et al. (2011) Changing the future of obesity: science, policy, and action. Lancet 378, 838–847.
2. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , BK Kit et al. (2012) Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999–2010. JAMA 307, 483–490.
3. GK Singh , MD Kogan , PC Van Dyck et al. (2008) Racial/ethnic, socioeconomic, and behavioral determinants of childhood and adolescent obesity in the United States: analyzing independent and joint associations. Ann Epidemiol 18, 682–695.
4. JA Skelton , SR Cook , P Auinger et al. (2009) Prevalence and trends of severe obesity among US children and adolescents. Acad Pediatr 9, 322–329.
5. BA Swinburn , G Sacks , KD Hall et al. (2011) The global obesity pandemic: shaped by global drivers and local environments. Lancet 378, 804–814.
6. AM Craigie , AA Lake , SA Kelly et al. (2011) Tracking of obesity-related behaviours from childhood to adulthood: a systematic review. Maturitas 70, 266–284.
7. SE Walker , MJ Gurka , MN Oliver et al. (2010) Racial/ethnic discrepancies in the metabolic syndrome begin in childhood and persist after adjustment for environmental factors. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 22, 141–148.
8. LA Moreno & G Rodriguez (2007) Dietary risk factors for development of childhood obesity. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 10, 336–341.
9. JF Dorgan , L Liu , BA Barton et al. (2011) Adolescent diet and metabolic syndrome in young women: results of the Dietary Intervention Study in Children (DISC) follow-up study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96, E1999–E2008.
10. JA Mennella , P Ziegler , R Briefel et al. (2006) Feeding infants and toddlers study: the types of foods fed to Hispanic infants and toddlers. J Am Diet Assoc 106, S96–S106.
14. LA Lytle , JH Himes , H Feldman et al. (2002) Nutrient intake over time in a multi-ethnic sample of youth. Public Health Nutr 5, 319–328.
16. B Xie , FD Gilliland , YF Li et al. (2003) Effects of ethnicity, family income, and education on dietary intake among adolescents. Prev Med 36, 30–40.
18. I Ohlund , O Hernell , A Hornell et al. (2010) BMI at 4 years of age is associated with previous and current protein intake and with paternal BMI. Eur J Clin Nutr 64, 138–145.
19. C Batis , L Hernandez-Barrera , S Barquera et al. (2011) Food acculturation drives dietary differences among Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and Non-Hispanic Whites. J Nutr 141, 1898–1906.
20. JM Dave , AE Evans , RP Saunders et al. (2009) Associations among food insecurity, acculturation, demographic factors, and fruit and vegetable intake at home in Hispanic children. J Am Diet Assoc 109, 697–701.
21. MC Desilets , M Rivard , B Shatenstein et al. (2007) Dietary transition stages based on eating patterns and diet quality among Haitians of Montreal, Canada. Public Health Nutr 10, 454–463.
23. LA Francis , SM Hofer & LL Birch (2001) Predictors of maternal child-feeding style: maternal and child characteristics. Appetite 37, 231–243.
24. A Macfarlane , D Crawford & A Worsley (2010) Associations between parental concern for adolescent weight and the home food environment and dietary intake. J Nutr Educ Behav 42, 152–160.
25. MW Gillman , JW Rich-Edwards , SL Rifas-Shiman et al. (2004) Maternal age and other predictors of newborn blood pressure. J Pediatr 144, 240–245.
26. MW Gillman (1996) Enjoy your fruits and vegetables. BMJ 313, 765–766.
27. CC Johnston Jr, JZ Miller , CW Slemenda et al. (1992) Calcium supplementation and increases in bone mineral density in children. N Engl J Med 327, 82–87.
28. K Oh , FB Hu , JE Manson et al. (2005) Dietary fat intake and risk of coronary heart disease in women: 20 years of follow-up of the Nurses’ Health Study. Am J Epidemiol 161, 672–679.
29. BM Posner , JL Cobb , AJ Belanger et al. (1991) Dietary lipid predictors of coronary heart disease in men. The Framingham Study. Arch Intern Med 151, 1181–1187.
30. J Salmeron , JE Manson , MJ Stampfer et al. (1997) Dietary fiber, glycemic load, and risk of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in women. JAMA 277, 472–477.
31. WC Willett (1994) Diet and health: what should we eat? Science 264, 532–537.
32. RE Blum , EK Wei , HR Rockett et al. (1999) Validation of a food frequency questionnaire in Native American and Caucasian children 1 to 5 years of age. Matern Child Health J 3, 167–172.
33. FB Hu , MJ Stampfer , JE Manson et al. (1997) Dietary fat intake and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. N Engl J Med 337, 1491–1499.
35. WN Venables & BD Ripley (2002) Modern Applied Statistics with S, 4th ed. New York: Springer.
37. BA Dennison , HL Rockwell & MJ Nichols (2001) Use of low-fat milk by children in the New York State WIC varies with parental characteristics. J Am Diet Assoc 101, 464–466.
38. CE O'Neil , TA Nicklas , Y Liu et al. (2009) Impact of dairy and sweetened beverage consumption on diet and weight of a multiethnic population of head start mothers. J Am Diet Assoc 109, 874–882.
39. TL LaRowe , SM Moeller & AK Adams (2007) Beverage patterns, diet quality, and body mass index of US preschool and school-aged children. J Am Diet Assoc 107, 1124–1133.
40. A Vyas (2003) Nutrient intakes of an adult Pakistani, European and African-Caribbean community in inner city Britain. J Hum Nutr Diet 16, 327–337.
41. PB Crawford , E Obarzanek , GB Schreiber et al. (1995) The effects of race, household income, and parental education on nutrient intakes of 9- and 10-year-old girls. NHLBI Growth and Health Study. Ann Epidemiol 5, 360–368.
42. K North & P Emmett (2000) Multivariate analysis of diet among three-year-old children and associations with socio-demographic characteristics. The Avon Longitudinal Study of Pregnancy and Childhood (ALSPAC) Study Team. Eur J Clin Nutr 54, 73–80.
43. SD Schefske , AC Bellows , C Byrd-Bredbenner et al. (2010) Nutrient analysis of varying socioeconomic status home food environments in New Jersey. Appetite 54, 384–389.
44. K Elfhag & F Rasmussen (2008) Food consumption, eating behaviour and self-esteem among single v. married and cohabiting mothers and their 12-year-old children. Public Health Nutr 11, 934–939.
45. H Delisle (2010) Findings on dietary patterns in different groups of African origin undergoing nutrition transition. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 35, 224–228.
46. J Satia-Abouta , RE Patterson , ML Neuhouser et al. (2002) Dietary acculturation: applications to nutrition research and dietetics. J Am Diet Assoc 102, 1105–1118.
47. P Gordon-Larsen , KM Harris , DS Ward et al. (2003) Acculturation and overweight-related behaviors among Hispanic immigrants to the US: the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Soc Sci Med 57, 2023–2234.
49. T Mellin-Olsen & M Wandel (2005) Changes in food habits among Pakistani immigrant women in Oslo, Norway. Ethn Health 10, 311–339.
50. KW Dammann , C Smith & R Richards (2011) Low-income minority and homeless mothers’ perceptions of their 9–13 year-old children's weight status, diet, and health. Matern Child Health J 15, 106–114.
51. B Dixon , MM Pena & EM Taveras (2012) Lifecourse approach to racial/ethnic disparities in childhood obesity. Adv Nutr 3, 73–82.
52. L Killion , SO Hughes , JC Wendt et al. (2006) Minority mothers’ perceptions of children's body size. Int J Pediatr Obes 1, 96–102.