This list contains references from the content that can be linked to their source. For a full set of references and notes please see the PDF or HTML where available.
1. T Lobstein , L Baur & R Uauy (2004) Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public health. Obes Rev 5, 4–85.
3. F Alvarez Caro , JJ Díaz Martín , I Riaño Galán et al. (2011) Classic and emergent cardiovascular risk factors in schoolchildren in Asturias. An Pediatr (Barc) 74, 388–395.
5. TS Olds , GR Tomkinson , KE Ferrar et al. (2010) Trends in the prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity in Australia between 1985 and 2008. Int J Obes (Lond) 34, 57–66.
6. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , BK Kit et al. (2012) Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999–2010. JAMA 307, 483–490.
7. J Aranceta , C Pérez-Rodrigo , L Serra-Majem et al. (2007) Prevention of overweight and obesity: a Spanish approach. Public Health Nutr 10, 1187–1193.
8. AM Prentice & SA Jebb (2001) Beyond body mass index. Obes Rev 2, 141–147.
11. B Gutin (2011) Diet vs exercise for the prevention of pediatric obesity: the role of exercise. Int J Obes (Lond) 35, 29–32.
12. V Martínez Vizcaíno , F Salcedo Aguilar , R Franquelo Gutiérrez et al. (2008) Assessment of an after-school physical activity program to prevent obesity among 9- to 10-year-old children: a cluster randomized trial. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 12–22.
13. MC Rudolf , R Levine , R Feltbower et al. (2006) The TRENDS Project: development of a methodology to reliably monitor the obesity epidemic in childhood. Arch Dis Child 91, 309–911.
17. T Cole , M Bellizzi , K Flegal et al. (2000) Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 320, 1240–1243.
18. TJ Cole , KM Flegal , D Nicholls et al. (2007) Body mass index cut offs to define thinness in children and adolescents: international survey. BMJ 335, 194.
19. MC Jones , O Linton & JP Nielsen (1995) A simple bias reduction method for density estimation. Biometrika 82, 327–338.
20. B Rokholm , JL Baker & TIA Sørensen (2010) The levelling off of the obesity epidemic since the year 1999 – a review of evidence and perspectives. Obes Rev 11, 835–846.
21. J Devís-Devís , C Peiró-Velert , VJ Beltrán-Carrillo et al. (2009) Screen media time usage of 12–16 year-old Spanish school adolescents: effects of personal and socioeconomic factors, season and type of day. J Adolesc 32, 213–231.
22. G Vicente-Rodríguez , JP Rey-López , M Martín-Matillas et al. (2008) Television watching, videogames, and excess of body fat in Spanish adolescents: the AVENA study. Nutrition 24, 654–662.
23. JP Rey-López , G Vicente-Rodríguez , M Biosca et al. (2008) Sedentary behaviour and obesity development in children and adolescents. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18, 242–251.
24. CL Ogden , MD Carroll , LR Curtin et al. (2010) Prevalence of high body mass index in US children and adolescents, 2007–2008. JAMA 303, 242–249.
25. LA Moreno , MI Mesana , J Fleta et al. (2005) Overweight, obesity and body fat composition in Spanish adolescents. Ann Nutr Metab 49, 71–76.
26. A Sjöberg , L Lissner , K Albertsson-Wikland et al. (2008) Recent anthropometric trends among Swedish school children: evidence for decreasing prevalence of overweight in girls. Acta Paediatr 97, 118–123.
27. E Sundblom , M Petzold , F Rasmussen et al. (2008) Childhood overweight and obesity prevalences levelling off in Stockholm but socioeconomic differences persist. Int J Obes (Lond) 32, 1525–1530.
28. E Stamatakis , P Zaninotto , E Falaschetti et al. (2010) Time trends in childhood and adolescent obesity in England from 1995 to 2007 and projections of prevalence to 2015. J Epidemiol Community Health 64, 167–174.
29. KD Tambalis , DB Panagiotakos , SA Kavouras et al. (2009) Eleven-year prevalence trends of obesity in Greek children: first evidence that prevalence of obesity is leveling off. Obesity (Silver Spring) 18, 161–166.