- Get access
- Contains open access
- ISSN: 1752-1963 (Print), 1752-1971 (Online)
- Editor: Emily Abrams Ansari Western University, Canada
- Editorial board
Journal of the Society for American Music is an international, peer-reviewed journal dealing with all aspects of American music and music in the Americas. JSAM is dedicated to supporting scholarship that transcends disciplinary boundaries, cutting across historical musicology, music theory, ethnomusicology, cultural theory, identity studies, and American studies. JSAM encourages international dialogue across disciplines. The journal features articles, reviews of books, recordings, and multimedia items, and explorations of special topics.
Journal of the Society for American Music welcomes papers covering cultural hierarchy; social, political, economic, gender, and sexuality issues; race and ethnicity; the impact and role of the media; sacred, secular, and popular contexts and traditions; geographical and historical patterns; composers, performers, and audiences; historiography and reception history; problems of research, analysis, criticism, and aesthetics.
Explore the most downloaded articles from Journal of the Society for American Music with this new collection, curated for Minneapolis 2023. Where not already Open Access, content is free to read and download until 30th April.
Stephanie Doktor - winner of both the AMS Popular Music Study Group's 2021 Best Essay in Popular Music Scholarship and the Irvin Lowens Article Award from the Society for American Music
The American Musicological Society's Popular Music Study Group has awarded the 2021 Best Essay in Popular Music Scholarship to Stephanie Doktor for her article "Finding Florence Mills: The Voice of the Harlem Jazz Queen in the Compositions of William Grant Still and Edmund Thornton Jenkins", published in Volume 14 Issue 4 of the Journal of the Society of American Music. Since March 2022, the article has gone on to win the Irvin Lowens Article Award from the Society for American Music.
JSAM Colloquy Guidelines
JSAM has begun publishing colloquies and roundtables regularly in its issues. These formats will complement its ongoing publication of articles and reviews.
- 12 March 2023,
- A colleague asked me this question last week. I wonder… What is a new way to state what’s at stake? That our future will be more and more challenging?…...
- 01 December 2022,
- “Your authors are a microcosm of the state of the world,” Mariellen Sandford wrote me, when I told her of the challenges we faced completing our issue.…...
- 31 October 2022,
- IFTR 2022 in Reykjavik, Iceland gave us the opportunity to meet with Senior Editor of Theatre Research International (TRI) Silvija Jestrovic.…